Help me pick the best DIY home security system?

Hey everyone, I need help finding a DIY home security system that fits my needs. Here’s some background: We own a 1-story house in Minneapolis, MN. Our detached garage was broken into this fall, even though the service door was reinforced. Valuable bikes were stolen, even though they were anchored to the ground. We’ve secured the garage door, but I want to further protect the house and garage with a security system.

Here’s what I’m looking for:

• Components:

• Door/window sensors
    • Camera/doorbell for the entryway and interior of the garage
    • Motion detector light (could be a basic one)
  • Functionality:

• Google/Nest home compatible
    • Sensor batteries that last at least 1 year, notify through an app, and use affordable batteries like CR2032s
    • Remote camera monitoring
    • Video capture for motion detection is optional since we have animals like rabbits and neighbor’s dogs regularly in the yard, but it’s a nice-to-have for the doorbell
  • Other requirements:

• Good data privacy for cloud services (probably no Amazon Ring)
    • Some offline functionality in case of power outages
    • Budget under $1000 (includes 8-10 sensors, 2 cameras, alarms, hub)
    • Low monthly fees for basic service, ideally under $20/month

I don’t think I need 24/7 professional monitoring like ADT, just remote camera access and basic features. Does this sound realistic? What would you recommend?

I’ve never heard of someone picking a security system based on battery type!

EduAdvocateElla said:

Haha, no CR2025s here! I just want something easy and cheap to replace. Some watch batteries can be expensive, and if I have to spend $80 a year on batteries, that adds to the cost.

EduAdvocateElla said:

I did! I have 30 sensors and don’t want to spend $100 a year on batteries.

Sorry to hear about your garage! I use Arlo Pro. It’s inexpensive, easy to use, and the rechargeable batteries last around 3-4 months. It alerts you when the battery is low and sends notifications to your phone. The monthly fee is low, around $15, and you can adjust the camera’s field of view to reduce false alarms. The night vision is solid, and you can add more cameras if you need them for your garage or side areas. I’m not sure about their cloud privacy though, and since it’s Wi-Fi, you’ll need backup power for your modem.

I’ve had good experiences with SuretyHome and AlarmGrid. I ordered professional-grade Honeywell equipment from Alarm Grid, and they were super helpful. SuretyHome also has some great options if you’re starting from scratch. Both companies have responsive customer support and plenty of resources to help you choose the right system.

You should consider getting a dog.

Brad said:

I recommend a Rottweiler, they’re great family dogs and excellent at sensing danger.

Brad said:

Haha, I love dogs, but I don’t want to walk and feed my home security system every day!

Only 2 cameras for home security? That seems a bit low.

Lilly said:
Only 2 cameras for home security? That seems a bit low.

Our 1500 sq. ft. home has 12 cameras, but we started with just 2. If you want to expand later, make sure to get a system that can handle more cameras from the beginning.

PhantomFable said:
Hey everyone, I need help finding a DIY home security system that fits my needs. Here’s some background: We own a 1-story house in Minneapolis, MN. Our detached garage was broken into this fall, even though the service door was reinforced. Valuable bikes were stolen, even though they were anchored to the ground. We’ve secured the garage door, but I want to further protect the house and garage with a security system.

• Components:

• Door/window sensors
  • Functionality:

• Sensor batteries that last at least 1 year, notify through an app, and use affordable batteries like CR2032s
    • Video capture for motion detection is optional since we have animals like rabbits and neighbor’s dogs regularly in the yard, but it’s a nice-to-have for the doorbell
  • Other requirements:

I don’t think I need 24/7 professional monitoring like ADT, just remote camera access and basic features. Does this sound realistic? What would you recommend?

Ring is a good choice, and there aren’t any real privacy concerns unless you choose to share your videos. And even then, is that really a privacy issue?

SafeHouseSociety said:
> PhantomFable said:

• Components:

• Door/window sensors
  • Functionality:

• Other requirements:

Ring is a good choice, and there aren’t any real privacy concerns unless you choose to share your videos. And even then, is that really a privacy issue?

Can I just not install the neighborhood app? I’ve heard some horror stories about that.

PhantomFable said:
> SafeHouseSociety said:
> PhantomFable said:

• Components:

• Door/window sensors
  • Functionality:

• Other requirements:

Can I just not install the neighborhood app? I’ve heard some horror stories about that.

The app isn’t the issue, it’s actually pretty helpful. The real problem is people reading outdated articles about privacy. No one can view your videos unless they have a warrant.

PhantomFable said:

• Components:

• Door/window sensors
  • Functionality:

• Other requirements:

I highly recommend a Reolink system. I love mine. It has remote access, two-way audio, good night vision, and it’s a closed-circuit system, so no worries about privacy. It stores footage for 48 hours and then overwrites the oldest recordings. I spent around $500 on a system with 5 cameras and a doorbell, plus some outdoor-rated Cat6 cables for the long runs to the garage.

PhantomFable said:

• Components:

• Door/window sensors
  • Functionality:

• Other requirements:

We use solar-powered Reolink cameras and a SimpliSafe security system with motion detectors and door/window sensors. It’s not perfect but it’s a good balance of cost, ease of installation, and monitoring. The cameras have SD cards for local storage and cloud uploads for remote access. I don’t pay for camera monitoring, but SimpliSafe’s monitoring is about $28/month, and they’ll call the police if I miss an alarm notification. If you go with a Wi-Fi system, you might need a Wi-Fi extender for the garage.