Help me pick a DIY home security system?

Hey guys, I am struggling to find a DIY home security system that fits my needs, so I thought I’d reach out for some advice. Just to provide some context, our house in Minneapolis, MN, is a one-story building. Despite reinforcing the service door, someone managed to steal the valuable bikes. The overhead door wasn’t touched, and I’ve secured the door to the trolley, so I’m hoping that’s not an easy entry point anymore.

As for the house, we have two entries, both with fiberglass doors and Yale Assure deadbolts. Our windows have vent latches, making it tough to break in that way. Plus, we’ve got some “vicious” security cats—they’d probably snuggle an intruder into compliance! :smirk_cat:

Beyond fortifying the garage, I’m hoping a security system will help deter future thefts. Here’s what I think I’m looking for:

Components:

• Door/window ajar sensors
  • Camera/doorbell for the entryway and inside the garage
  • Motion detector lights (could be basic)

Functionality:

• Google/Nest home compatibility
  • Sensor batteries that last at least a year, with app notifications and affordable replacements (like CR2032s)
  • Remote camera monitoring
  • Video capture for motion detection is optional—there are tons of rabbits and a neighbor’s dog in our yard, so it might just increase my anxiety without adding much security. Unless it’s for the video doorbell, I could be convinced that it’s not necessary.

Other Requirements:

• Decent data privacy for cloud services, probably no Amazon Ring
  • Some offline functionality. I hate the idea of losing service if the company folds or local alarms not work during a power outage.
  • Under $1000 total (8-10 sensors, 2 cameras, alarms, hub)
  • Low monthly fees for basic service, or at least a low-cost option that doesn’t suck (<$20/month)
  • Remote camera monitoring is nice; I don’t think I need 24/7 monitoring from a third party like ADT.

Does this setup seem practical? What systems would you recommend? Thanks for the help.

We have solar-powered Reolink cameras triggered by motion and a SimpliSafe security system with motion detectors and door/window sensors. It’s not a perfect setup, but it balances cost with ease of installation and provides a reasonable level of security and monitoring. The cameras have mini SD cards for local storage and also upload to the cloud, with access via an app that can send push notifications to your phone. I don’t pay for camera monitoring, but the SimpliSafe monitoring costs around $28 per month. I like having the added security of a service that will alert the police if I miss an alarm notification.

If you choose a Wi-Fi-based system, you may need to extend your coverage to reach the garage. We use an Eero mesh system to ensure strong connectivity.

That’s a tough situation! I use Arlo Pro, and it’s been great—affordable, easy to use, with rechargeable batteries that last around 3-4 months and send alerts to your phone when they’re low. The monthly fee is pretty low, about $15. You can adjust the field of view to minimize false alarms, and it comes with night vision, a wide field of view, two-way audio, and phone alerts.

I have two cameras covering the front and back of my house, which also monitor the sides since the houses are close together. You could add extra cameras for better coverage, including inside your garage. Whether your garage is attached or detached could impact how effective this setup would be.

For extra protection, you might want to grab some affordable window sensors—these could trigger the cameras when the alarms go off, though I’d need to double-check that.

Regarding cloud security, I’m not entirely sure, and since it’s Wi-Fi-based, you’d need a solid internet connection (fiber) and a backup power source for the modem. Hope this helps, and good luck!

home security with 2(!!!) cameras? :smiley:

Our 1500sf home has 12 cameras! But we did start with 2 indoor cameras and gradually expanded. If we had to do it over again, I would have bought an NVR that could handle 16 cameras from the start instead of having to replace/upgrade later on.

I recommend going with a Reolink system—I’m really happy with mine. It offers remote access, two-way audio, decent night vision, a closed-circuit setup, and supports up to 8 cameras (on my model). It stores footage for 48 hours before overwriting, and I opted for the 5MP cameras. The whole system, including a Reolink doorbell and 5 cameras, cost about $500.

Edit: These cameras use Power over Ethernet (PoE). For the lines running to the alley, I bought some heavier outdoor-rated Cat6 cables.

My friend can you get dogs

Ring is a good choice and there isn’t any data privacy issues unless you share your video. And if you share it is that even a privacy concern?

Can you just not install the neighborhood app? That’s what sounds like a project nightmare

It has nothing to do with the neighborhood app, that’s actually kinda nice. It’s that people are stupid and only read click bait articles from several years ago. No one can view your videos and the police can only see it if they have a warrant.

I don’t want to have to walk and feed my home security system 2x/day though :joy:. Love dogs, just don’t want to commit to that much care for another creature

Rottenweiler, great family dogs and ability to read people is phenomenal.

I’ve never heard of someone choosing their system based on the type of batteries the sensors use

I did. I have 30 sensors and don’t want to spend $100 a year on batteries.

Haha, no CR2025s in this house! No I just mean they’re easy/cheap to replace. Some watch batteries are like ~$10/each, and if I have to replace $80 worth of batteries every year that’s a factor in the price.