Help me fix or Recommend for me a home camera that can support low net speed

I recently visited a friend and wanted to buy them the same model home security camera I have. However, I learned that my friend has a 433 Mbps net speed, and the camera requires a 2.4 GHz connection. The camera won’t pair during the Wi-Fi connection stage.

When we contacted his internet provider, the tech support suggested temporarily switching his net speed to 2.4 GHz for 24 hours to give us time to pair the camera. Unfortunately, it still didn’t work even at the new speed.

Does anyone have tips on how to fix this issue or recommendations for a reliable home surveillance camera? The current camera I use is called “Zeeport” and I bought it from Amazon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

It seems like a lot of work. Consider getting a camera with better pairing options or one that is designed to support low bandwidth. Certain brands, such as Blink or Wyze, may function better at lower speeds.

3 Likes

I believe he’s referring to the fact that the WiFi camera only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi, whereas the router from the ISP might be set to a combined SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz bands. If the phone is connected to the 5.8 GHz WiFi and the camera pairs with the 2.4 GHz WiFi, the app won’t be able to connect and pair the camera to the router.

To resolve this, you can change your router’s configuration to have separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz (e.g., <mywifiSSID-2.4Ghz> and <mywifiSSID-5.8Ghz>). Connect your phone to the 2.4 GHz SSID and pair it with the camera. After the camera is successfully paired to the router, you can switch your phone back to the 5.8 GHz SSID for faster speed, or continue using the 2.4 GHz if preferred. This should ensure everything works properly.

2 Likes

I looked up the ZeePorte camera on Amazon. This is a “knock-off” WiFi camera that does support WiFi connectivity and uses an app. Therefore, disregard the 433 MHz comment above, please.

The “netspeed,” as you call it, is not a factor here. The camera requires a 2.4 GHz WiFi signal to connect to your router and communicate with the proper servers, which allows you to use the app.

You need to test your internet connection speed using a service like speedtest.net to see what speeds you are actually getting. Bandwidth is another factor, but we can address that after you test your speeds.

Please post what you find. Thanks.

1 Like

There appears to be some misunderstanding on your part. The 2.4 GHz frequency refers to the RF frequency of the WiFi system your friend uses, not the speed of the connection itself.
If your friend achieves speeds of 430+ Mbps (you can check using www.speedtest.net), they have ample speed for operating a camera. In my apartment, we only have 50 Mbps, which is sufficient.
However, please check the labeling carefully. If it indicates 433 MHz (megahertz), this refers to a radio frequency unrelated to the internet. A camera operating at 433 MHz is not a WiFi camera and requires a host system for connection.