Help installing Ring Pro 2 in place of old ADT wired chime

Why do you think the doorbell is connected to the alarm system? It doesn’t seem like there’s a spot for a doorbell button on it.

Wilson said:
Why do you think the doorbell is connected to the alarm system? It doesn’t seem like there’s a spot for a doorbell button on it.

The wire running to the chime looks the same as the other low voltage wires connected to the security system. That’s the only clue I have. I’m not sure where else the “brains” of the doorbell could be, since they aren’t at the chime itself.

Ronald said:

Wilson said:

The wire running to the chime looks the same as the other low voltage wires connected to the security system. That’s the only clue I have. I’m not sure where else the “brains” of the doorbell could be, since they aren’t at the chime itself.

What do you mean by brains? Doorbells are usually pretty simple, just a transformer connected to power, low voltage wires to the doorbell and chime. Pushing the button completes the circuit, causing the bell to ring. The doorbell shouldn’t be part of the alarm system.

ashionaa said:

Ronald said:
Wilson said:

What do you mean by brains? Doorbells are usually pretty simple, just a transformer connected to power, low voltage wires to the doorbell and chime. Pushing the button completes the circuit, causing the bell to ring. The doorbell shouldn’t be part of the alarm system.

I see what you’re saying. But I still don’t know where to connect the Ring power adapter. Where could the “Front” and “Trans” terminals be, if not at the chime?

Ronald said:

ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

I see what you’re saying. But I still don’t know where to connect the Ring power adapter. Where could the “Front” and “Trans” terminals be, if not at the chime?

Can you take a picture of the chime? That might help.

ashionaa said:

Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

It’s already posted. Check picture #3.

Ronald said:

ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

I’m a low voltage electrician and used to install ADT systems. I can help, but do you have the right tools for this job? You might need a wire toner to trace where the wire from the transformer is going. I don’t think the speaker you found is a chime; it’s probably a speaker for the security system. ADT never wired chimes into their systems. I suggest looking for twisted pair wiring, which wouldn’t go into the ADT box. The twisted pair is probably going to the doorbell button.

Stephen said:

Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

I’m a low voltage electrician and used to install ADT systems. I can help, but do you have the right tools for this job? You might need a wire toner to trace where the wire from the transformer is going. I don’t think the speaker you found is a chime; it’s probably a speaker for the security system. ADT never wired chimes into their systems. I suggest looking for twisted pair wiring, which wouldn’t go into the ADT box. The twisted pair is probably going to the doorbell button.

You were right. The actual chime was hidden a few feet away under what looks like a vent cover. I removed it, and sure enough, there’s the chime built into the wall. Thanks for the help with figuring out the ADT setup.

Ronald said:

Stephen said:
Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

You were right. The actual chime was hidden a few feet away under what looks like a vent cover. I removed it, and sure enough, there’s the chime built into the wall. Thanks for the help with figuring out the ADT setup.

Glad to help.

Ronald said:

ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

You should check out this site: DSC. They may be able to help you further. It’s getting late here.

Ronald said:

ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

That looks more like the alarm siren. Is that where you hear the doorbell chime when someone rings the bell?

Wilson said:

Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
ashionaa said:
Ronald said:
Wilson said:

That looks more like the alarm siren. Is that where you hear the doorbell chime when someone rings the bell?

You were right. The actual chime was in a different spot. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m working on installing a wired Ring Pro 2 doorbell, but the existing doorbell chime seems to be connected to an old Tyco/ADT security system that isn’t in use anymore. When I opened up the chime cover, I didn’t find any “Front” or “Trans” terminals to connect the power adapter, and it looks like the wires run into the old security panel. (The doorbell still works, and I can turn it off using the breaker. I’ve also found the transformer in a closet.) Can anyone help me figure out which terminal the doorbell or chime is connected to on this panel, and how to hook up the power adapter? Which terminals would be similar to “Front” and “Trans”?