Gate Camera with Monitor, No WIFI

I’m currently using a non-WIFI camera and monitor setup, with the camera positioned about 140 feet from the monitor inside my house, and it works well.

I’m considering upgrading to a system with a 10" monitor and a camera at the gate. However, some of the systems I’m interested in mention that WIFI is required, likely because they offer an app to view the feed on your phone.

My question is: does the WIFI requirement apply to the monitor, the camera, or both?

Since we don’t have specific examples to reference, I’d suggest assuming that the WIFI requirement applies to both the monitor and the camera.

To get more precise information, try searching for the manual of the product you’re interested in on Google.

For example: “Ford F150 2024 manual.”

This approach usually helps you find the exact requirements.

If the camera doesn’t come with a 140’ cable, it’s likely that it requires a WIFI signal at the gate.

My current system doesn’t require WIFI—it’s a non-WIFI setup (Defender). However, I’m looking for an upgrade with a few additional features: a bigger monitor, solar power capability, and an app for my phone.

I’ve found some systems that offer all these features, but they mention “WIFI required.”

Given this, would the WIFI requirement be for the camera, the monitor, or both?

If you’re just looking for a bigger monitor, you can simply buy one. Check the back of your current monitor to see what type of input it uses, and ensure the new monitor has the same input.

However, if you want features like an app on your phone, you’ll need to have the camera connected to the internet in some way.

It looks like your “Defender” system has the receiver built into the monitor, so there’s no video output option to connect it to a bigger monitor.