First Alert CO detector chirping... what’s up with it?

My First Alert carbon monoxide detector is chirping three times occasionally. I tested the battery, but it’s still chirping. Anyone know why?

If it’s chirping three times, it could mean the battery is low. Even if you’ve tested it, I’d suggest replacing the battery completely to see if that helps.

Zendaya said:
If it’s chirping three times, it could mean the battery is low. Even if you’ve tested it, I’d suggest replacing the battery completely to see if that helps.

I already replaced the battery. Now it’s doing five chirps every 45 seconds.

@Oscar
Ah, that means it’s at the end of its life. Carbon monoxide detectors usually last around 5 to 10 years. You’ll need to replace the whole unit.

Five chirps every 45 seconds is the end-of-life signal for a CO detector. Time for a new one, unfortunately.

I had the same issue. Once it starts doing the five chirps, replacing the battery won’t help—it’s telling you to get a new unit.

Desmond said:
I had the same issue. Once it starts doing the five chirps, replacing the battery won’t help—it’s telling you to get a new unit.

Good to know. I’ll get a new one. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, once you hit the five-chirp stage, it’s done. I had to replace mine after about 8 years.

If you’ve had it for more than 5 years, it’s probably at the end of its life. They usually beep like that to let you know.