Eufy Camera Incoming – What’s the Right Home Software to Run for Backup?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide! I’m about to order a Eufy SoloCam S340 Wireless Outdoor Security Camera. From what I’ve read, it stores footage internally on SD cards. I’m not keen on buying the homebase station, although I know it’s an option.

My main concern is that if a vandal were to damage or steal the camera, they’d take the footage with them. I want to ensure that the footage is backed up elsewhere. While I can view and download the footage using the app, I’d like to set up some software at home to automatically transfer and store the footage.

I work in IT, so I’m comfortable with networking and technical setups. Essentially, I’d like to have the footage automatically copied to a central location on a home server or PC, and keep about 30 days’ worth of footage.

Do you have any suggestions for free or paid software that could help with this? I’d appreciate any recommendations or ideas you have :wink:

Hi there!

It’s great that you’re thinking ahead about securing your footage.

Here are a few options you can consider for automatically backing up your security camera footage to a central location:

1. FTP Server Setup:
  • FileZilla: You can set up your PC or Mac as an FTP server using free software like FileZilla. Your Eufy camera can then upload footage to this server continuously or when motion is detected.
  1. Cloud Storage Solutions:
  • Dropbox: If you prefer cloud storage, you can use Dropbox. Once installed, you can set the Dropbox folder as the destination for your camera’s footage. This way, the footage is automatically uploaded and backed up.
  • Amazon S3: Another cloud option is Amazon S3. You can configure your camera to upload footage directly to an S3 bucket, providing a scalable and reliable backup solution.
  1. Dedicated Backup Software:
  • CameraFTP: This service allows you to configure your IP cameras to upload footage directly to the cloud. It supports FTP/SMTP and RTSP, making it versatile for different camera setups.

• SecuritySpy: For macOS users, SecuritySpy is a robust CCTV software that can save recordings to a local drive or a NAS. It also supports automatic offsite backup to services like Dropbox or an FTP server.

1. Scheduled Backups:
  • Backup Scheduler Tool: You can use tools like the Backup Scheduler to automate the process of backing up your footage to a local or network drive.

Given your IT background, setting up an FTP server or using cloud storage solutions should be straightforward.

These options will help ensure that your footage is securely backed up and accessible even if the camera is compromised.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for sharing these detailed options for backing up security camera footage.

They all sound like great solutions. Here’s a quick rundown of what I’ve considered so far:

1. FTP Server Setup:
  • FileZilla: This seems like a good option since I can use my existing PC as an FTP server. It’s great that Eufy cameras support this.
  1. Cloud Storage Solutions:
  • Dropbox: I like the idea of using Dropbox for its simplicity and accessibility. Has anyone faced any issues with storage limits?
  • Amazon S3: This seems reliable and scalable, though I’m curious about the costs involved. Does anyone have experience with Amazon S3 for security footage?
  1. Dedicated Backup Software:
  • CameraFTP: This looks versatile, especially with support for different protocols. Has anyone tried it?
  • SecuritySpy: As a Mac user, SecuritySpy seems like a robust option. I like that it can also handle offsite backups.
  1. Scheduled Backups:
  • Backup Scheduler Tool: Automating backups sounds convenient. Does anyone have a specific tool they recommend?

Given my IT background, setting up an FTP server or cloud storage shouldn’t be too challenging.

I’m leaning towards a combination of Dropbox for its ease of use and Amazon S3 for scalability.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

1 Like