Do Ring cameras reconnect automatically if the power goes out and comes back?

Hi everyone, I’m hoping someone can help me with this. If my power goes out and my internet router goes off, once the power comes back and the router restarts, will my Ring cameras automatically reconnect to the internet? Or do I need to do something manually to get them back online?

Yes, they reconnect by themselves. Some devices might take a little longer, but it usually happens within a few minutes.

Mine does it automatically.

Yes, but sometimes it’s a bit slow. If it’s really slow, turning the Wi-Fi off and back on can help speed it up. Or maybe it just feels like it works faster when I do that, but it seems to help.

I have two Ring devices that sometimes lose connection to the router. I haven’t fully figured it out yet, but I set up a smart Wi-Fi plug on the extender and have it turn off for 30 seconds every few hours. It keeps the connection stable, but I still need to fix the actual problem.

Gracie said:
I have two Ring devices that sometimes lose connection to the router. I haven’t fully figured it out yet, but I set up a smart Wi-Fi plug on the extender and have it turn off for 30 seconds every few hours. It keeps the connection stable, but I still need to fix the actual problem.

The problem is likely the extender. My sister-in-law had the same issue. I suggested a Wi-Fi plug too, and when her family was away, I had to manually unplug it and plug it back in to reconnect it. Maybe try using a TP-Link or a different brand of extender instead.

ShadowSherpa said:

Gracie said:

The problem is likely the extender. My sister-in-law had the same issue. I suggested a Wi-Fi plug too, and when her family was away, I had to manually unplug it and plug it back in to reconnect it. Maybe try using a TP-Link or a different brand of extender instead.

Yeah, it’s definitely the router or extender, not the Ring devices. I’ve tried both NetGear and TP-Link, and the problem persists. For now, the Wi-Fi plug turning on and off is working, so I’m sticking with that until I get time to troubleshoot properly.

Yes, mine reconnects automatically.

Camila said:
Hi everyone, I’m hoping someone can help me with this. If my power goes out and my internet router goes off, once the power comes back and the router restarts, will my Ring cameras automatically reconnect to the internet? Or do I need to do something manually to get them back online?

Mine reconnects on its own.

Camila said:

Yes, but… I’ve had issues with some of my outdoor spotlight cameras. Sometimes I get an error saying my login credentials aren’t valid, even though they are. It’s really annoying because retrying doesn’t always work right away, and I’ve had to reboot my router a few times to get it working again. Also, consider using a battery backup for your internet devices so they stay powered during outages. I use a UPS for my router, access points, and Ring alarm base station, which gives me around two hours of internet during an outage.

Camila said:

Yes, but I live in a rural area where I lose connection a lot. Most of the time it reconnects fine, but occasionally I have to do the full setup process again.

Camila said:

Yes, mine reconnects automatically too. But sometimes my Ring Pro doorbell camera needs a reset to reconnect. I had to install a Wi-Fi access point outside for a better signal because the built-in one wasn’t good enough.

Camila said:

Mine reconnects just fine and I haven’t had to touch them since setup. They’re powered all the time, and I haven’t subscribed to the service, so I only use them for live viewing.

Camila said:

Yes, mine reconnected last night after a power outage. Everything came back up without any issues.

Camila said:

Yes!

Camila said:

I’ve had no problems with my doorbell, spotlight, or floodlight cameras. They reconnect just fine.