Considering Xfinity Home... any thoughts?

I currently have SimpliSafe, and it’s been terrible.

Does anyone here have experience with Xfinity Home Pro service? I already have a Triple Play package with Xfinity.

I’ve been using SimpliSafe for years and have found it very reliable. Maybe your base station needs replacing?

BookwormBard said:
I’ve been using SimpliSafe for years and have found it very reliable. Maybe your base station needs replacing?

I’ve already ordered a replacement just in case.

What exactly do you find ‘terrible’ about SimpliSafe? Xfinity’s system is similar—wireless sensors with a central touchscreen device. Xfinity uses Zigbee and Wi-Fi to communicate with the sensors. One advantage with Xfinity is that if your Wi-Fi goes down, the system will still use cellular service to send out alarms. You’ll have to change sensor batteries every year or so, but that’s pretty simple. I’ve had the Xfinity system for a couple of years and haven’t had many issues—just one sensor that didn’t re-pair after a battery change, but it was replaced. I only arm it when I’m gone for a few days, so I’m not a heavy user.

@Eagle
SimpliSafe has been randomly disarming itself and deleting all my sensors. Plus, the cameras are terrible—they drop recordings around 80% of the time. I’ve been through their top-tier support with no solution.

@Bright
That’s rough. Xfinity has been pretty stable for me. I only have one camera and don’t use it for recording, but a friend with exterior cameras hasn’t had any problems.

Skip that and hire a local alarm company to install a hardwired system. Make sure they’re licensed.

Xfinity Home will call first responders if the alarm goes off. Does SimpliSafe do that?

Don’t do it. Adding more services from Comcast is a mistake.

I work for Xfinity and have their alarm system at a discount. I have one touchscreen, two door sensors, a camera facing my driveway, and the Xfinity doorbell. No issues for about a year. The closest thing to a problem was the touchscreen malfunctioning, but they sent me a replacement. Other than that, it’s been a 10/10 for me.

But I guess everyone has different experiences.

@Keira
Do Xfinity’s regular techs handle support, or is it outsourced? I’ve always had good experiences with my local techs.

Bright said:
@Keira
Do Xfinity’s regular techs handle support, or is it outsourced? I’ve always had good experiences with my local techs.

They do use their regular techs, but they treat employee accounts like we’re the plague. They’ll usually just schedule a tech visit without wasting time troubleshooting. But I’ve had my supervisor create a special work order for my house, so I replace stuff myself.

@Keira
Do they use new equipment for replacements? My cable boxes always seem like they’ve been around forever without being replaced.

Bright said:
@Keira
Do they use new equipment for replacements? My cable boxes always seem like they’ve been around forever without being replaced.

It’s hit or miss. A lot of the equipment is refurbished or stripped for parts before being sent back out. But for Xfinity Home, I haven’t received anything refurbished so far!