Career as a Security Systems Technician

Hey everyone, I’ve been thinking about switching careers because I’m not happy with my current sales job. I came across the security systems technician role and it seems really interesting.

I’m hoping to hear from people who have experience in this field. What are the pros and cons, what skills or experience do you need, how’s the pay, and what does a typical day look like? Any advice would be appreciated!

That’s actually my dream job too!

AnitaSqwimbex said:

Nice! Have you done anything yet to move toward that career?

Kevin said:

AnitaSqwimbex said:

Nice! Have you done anything yet to move toward that career?

Not yet, but I’m planning to apply to ADT in the UK.

If you’re really into alarms, definitely bring that up in your applications.

Hey!

I’m not a tech myself, but I work with a lot of them.

Pay usually starts around $25 an hour, and with experience or a low-voltage license, it can go up to $30-$35.

You don’t need any special skills to start, but you should be comfortable with heights since cameras are often installed about 12-15 feet high. You’ll also need to deal with running long wires, sometimes through old buildings, so be ready to crawl through some tight spaces and get around cobwebs.

Most installs are basic, like setting up a NVR/home base and motion detectors or door sensors.

leecole3 said:
Hey!

I’m not a tech myself, but I work with a lot of them.

Pay usually starts around $25 an hour, and with experience or a low-voltage license, it can go up to $30-$35.

You don’t need any special skills to start, but you should be comfortable with heights since cameras are often installed about 12-15 feet high. You’ll also need to deal with running long wires, sometimes through old buildings, so be ready to crawl through some tight spaces and get around cobwebs.

Most installs are basic, like setting up a NVR/home base and motion detectors or door sensors.

That’s more than I make now. I expected heights and tight spaces, so that doesn’t bother me. Thanks for the info!

Hey, I’m a security tech. I started in low-voltage work at 18 and got into the security technician role at 22. I’ve been in the field for about 6 years now.

I like the job, but be aware that it’s physically demanding. I’ve had three knee surgeries due to injuries at work, and it’s been tough on me and my family, especially since workers’ comp isn’t great. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do, but I always tell people to be ready for the physical side of it.

It also depends on whether you want to do residential or commercial security. I started with residential and then moved into commercial security and access control. I personally prefer commercial since you don’t have to deal with customers as much, but it’s its own challenge. If you stay in residential, expect late hours. I’ve had days where I finished at 3pm and days where I didn’t get home until 1am. It can be tough to balance work and personal life.

As for pay, I started at $18 an hour with ADT and now I’m making in the 30s with a smaller low-voltage company. Smaller companies usually appreciate you more and tend to pay better, but you’ll probably end up doing more work since they have fewer employees.