Can I use the motion sensor to turn on certain indoor lights, but only at night?

Okay, I am obsessed with my smart lights and have them all grouped. I always have Alexa turn them on/off during the day, but I got a motion sensor so that when one of us gets up at night, the lights can turn on automatically without waking each other by talking.

And it works great. But it starts detecting motion and triggering the lights as soon as it gets dark, which is usually well before we go to bed. It even ruined a moment during a scary movie tonight!

TL;DR: I want the motion sensor to turn on my hall lights only from midnight to 6 a.m. Does it have that functionality? I can’t seem to find the setting anywhere.

Yes, you can use a motion sensor to turn on indoor lights only at night by setting up a smart lighting feature with specific time limits. Use the Smart Lighting app to configure the motion sensor to activate lights after dark. This prevents false positives during the day and ensures it works effectively at night.

You can usually set motion sensors to work only during certain hours through the smart home app or settings. Check if your app has a “schedule” or “automation” feature to set the motion sensor’s active hours from midnight to 6 a.m.

Hello, Motion sensors can often be too sensitive, especially in low-light conditions. Here’s how to address this:

• Adjust Sensitivity: Lower the sensor’s sensitivity to reduce false triggers.
  • Modify Coverage Area: Adjust the sensor’s angle or position to focus on specific areas like doorways.
  • Use Timer Function: Set a delay on the sensor to avoid accidental activation.

Smart Home Solutions:

• Create Light Schedules: Set lighting schedules that match your sleep patterns.
  • Define Motion Zones: Configure zones where the sensor is active only during certain hours.
  • Add Occupancy Sensors: Use these in frequently used rooms to keep lights on while occupied.