Can I use security cameras without paying a fee?

Hey guys,
We want to install 4 security cameras around our house. After reading this article comparing Blink and Ring (Blink vs Ring - Which Security System is the Best? | Security.org), I think Blink might be a good choice. I like that it has an option to store footage locally, but it seems the free plan doesn’t include motion-activated recording. Am I correct?

So, my main question is: Can I do motion-activated recording and save it locally without paying for a monthly subscription, if I don’t need cloud storage? Are there other brands that offer this feature?

Thanks!

Hey Mason, you’re on the right! Many security cameras, including Blink, offer the option to store footage locally without a monthly subscription fee. While Blink’s free plan includes live video streaming and motion detection alerts, it doesn’t cover motion-activated recording. However, you can still use motion alerts, live view, and two-way audio without any monthly fee.
For motion-activated recording with local storage, there are other brands that provide this feature without requiring a subscription. Cameras like Eufy, Wyze, and Reolink have models that support local storage on microSD cards or internal memory and include motion-activated recording. It’s a great way to keep an eye on your home and save recordings without ongoing costs. Hope this helps with your home security setup!