Can I use my ADT system without a subscription?

I just bought a house that already has an ADT system installed. When I called ADT, they told me I need to pay $50 a month to use it.

If I already own the hardware, why can’t I set it up to monitor everything myself? ADT was very pushy about getting me to sign up, which is frustrating.

You might be able to just replace the control panel and connect the existing hardware to the new one. Then you can manage it yourself.

Smart said:
You might be able to just replace the control panel and connect the existing hardware to the new one. Then you can manage it yourself.

That would only work if you don’t have an ADT Command panel. Those systems are designed to lock you in with features that make it hard to switch to another system.

HyperSphinx said:

Smart said:

That would only work if you don’t have an ADT Command panel. Those systems are designed to lock you in with features that make it hard to switch to another system.

You can switch to a Honeywell panel and keep the wireless sensors, though, right?

HomegroundSleuth said:

HyperSphinx said:
Smart said:

You can switch to a Honeywell panel and keep the wireless sensors, though, right?

Not with the ADT Command panel. The sensors are locked to the ADT system, and only ADT can release them, which they won’t do.

Do you know which ADT system you have?

Steve4 said:

I guess we’re supposed to figure that out!

HyperSphinx said:

Steve4 said:

I guess we’re supposed to figure that out!

Looks like it’s probably an ADT Command control panel.

Steve4 said:

There’s no text on the panel itself, but it seems to be a ‘Command Control’ system.

At best, you might be able to get it to make noise and arm it from the panel, but that’s about it. You wouldn’t have access to the app or any remote monitoring, and it wouldn’t contact the police in case of an alarm.

ADT typically charges $30-60 a month for monitoring, so it’s up to you if you think that’s worth it.

You could try something like EyezOn EVL4 or Konnected. Both are options for using existing alarm hardware with a self-monitoring system.