Can I Cancel ADT If My System Wasn’t Fully Installed?

Hey, so I had a guy come out last week to set up ADT. We filled out all the paperwork, but he didn’t leave me with anything. That was last Monday, and the full system never got installed because I don’t have WiFi. Can I cancel everything? If so, how do I do that?

Make sure you are not billed for any services that were not provided, and request a refund if you have been charged for anything that was not installed.

It depends on how much you push back on this issue. If the installation hasn’t been completed, you can consider escalating by mentioning a potential social media post or contacting the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

The account is under my grandma’s name, and she’s over 65. I’ve heard that anyone over 65 is legally entitled to a 60-day trial period.

Well, there you go. Just tell them that you have a senior unaware of what she was doing.

If the system hasn’t been installed yet, you should be able to cancel without much trouble. The only concern might be whether you can get your deposit back.

I found this information online. You might want to check the contract your Grandma signed to see if it includes similar terms and conditions. Typically, the contract would state that the system is fully installed and operational to her satisfaction before the installer leaves, as they usually need that signature to get paid.

Here’s what I found about ADT’s trial period:

• ADT offers a six-month trial period during which you can decide to continue or opt out of the service. After the trial, the standard contract is usually 36 months, except in California, where it’s 24 months.
  • Once the initial contract ends, it automatically converts to a month-to-month agreement, which you can cancel with at least 30 days’ notice.
  • ADT may require a refundable security deposit before the installation begins.
  • They also offer a three-day buyer’s remorse money-back guarantee, allowing you to cancel within 72 hours of installation.

If you think the contract might have similar terms, reviewing it could clarify your options.

You aren’t in a binding contract until the system is installed.

The system is online but not fully installed.

It depends on how they handled the installation.

If they removed the cameras from the work order and completed the rest of the installation, then the system is considered complete and online, making it nearly impossible to cancel the contract.

However, if they left the ticket open, planning to return later to add the cameras, then you’re probably not officially in service yet, meaning your contract likely hasn’t started.

Best of luck!

She’s over 65 by law every system offers an ROR period of 60 days.

Well then there you go.

Not trying to be rude by what was the point of this post?

I wanted to confirm maybe with someone who’s dealt with in the past. I haven’t called in yet and gone through the battle but hoping it’s the case.

Did you sign a contract?

And if you signed the contract, did you receive a copy? What does it say?