Camera Security Without Outside Release of Footage

Hello guys…

I’m moving into a new place in a pretty safe neighborhood, but my wife has had a stalker in the past, and she’s understandably concerned about our home safety. With a little one on the way, we want to ensure we feel secure in our new environment.

I’ve been looking into security cameras, but I’m hesitant about options like the Ring doorbell. Even though police can no longer request footage through the Neighbors app, I’ve learned that footage can still be released under “exigent or emergency circumstances.” That vagueness makes me uneasy—who decides what qualifies as an “exigent” circumstance?

I’m looking for a security system that can’t share footage without our explicit consent, regardless of the situation. Does anyone have recommendations for a setup that only we can access? Maybe something that records to a hard drive or a local storage option? :wink:

4 Likes

I have a Lorex NVR with a wired setup. It supports 12 4K POE cameras connected directly to the hard drive unit. While you can connect it to the internet if desired, it’s not necessary.

3 Likes

Most DVRs operate similarly: insert a storage drive, connect a camera, and press record. Alternatively, you can use an Intel NUC, a laptop, a POE switch, and a camera, and record with software like Blue Iris. This is a bit of an oversimplification, as some systems might still need online activation.

2 Likes

Also, some cameras come with internal SD cards. For instance, Reolink cameras can record both to a memory card and to a Network Video Recorder (NVR) simultaneously, which serves as a backup. This setup is advantageous because if a thief or stalker steals a camera, the NVR remains secure. Conversely, if someone breaks in and takes the NVR, they might not take the individual cameras. The likelihood of stealing both is low. If you’re concerned, you can configure your NVR to back up the data to another device on your network or to the cloud, ensuring multiple backups.

1 Like

I use BlueIris with PoE Amcrest cameras and have disabled all internet-connected services. These cameras are only accessible on the local network or through a VPN into that network. If you have additional security concerns, consider setting up an air-gapped network solely for the cameras and NVR. This way, they can only be viewed from the computer running the NVR.