Best wired and wireless home security system?

Hey guys, I just got a new house and I’m thinking about setting up a wired camera system. I am looking for a system that stores footage locally on a hard drive and can be viewed on a monitor and my phone. I don’t want to use Ring or ADT, everything should be local. The camera quality should be decent, but it doesn’t need to be 4K. I am considering adding solar panels to each camera for continuous power. I prefer something affordable and “open source” so I can expand it in the future, rather than a closed system like Apple.

I’m in IT and enjoy building and tinkering, so I don’t mind a technical setup or doing the work myself. I’m new to home security and would love some advice. Any tips on what else I can add to a local camera system for more value would be great! In the future, I plan to build my own cloud server. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have Reolink. It’s a complete system on its own. The NVR comes with several POE ports, so I didn’t need to purchase a POE switch.

1 Like

Thump up! Reolink is fantastic, it is obvious if you are somewhat handy and do not mind running cables to the NVR box! During Black Friday, I paid $300 on Amazon for the four 8MP cameras plus packaging. Extremely pleased with the precision and astute identification of both individuals and cars.

I recently set up a Reolink system myself and had a great experience. If you’re comfortable with a bit of DIY and running cables, it’s a fantastic choice. I snagged a deal on Black Friday for $300 on Amazon, which included four 8MP cameras and everything I needed. The setup was straightforward, and the clarity and accuracy in identifying people and vehicles have been impressive. If you don’t mind a bit of installation work, Reolink offers excellent value for the money and top-notch performance.