Best outdoor security camera

My garage was recently broken into, and I’m looking to install a single camera above the door. I’m in Canada, so it needs to handle cold winters. Should I go with a wired or wireless option? What features are best for this situation? And how do range and clarity compare?

I’d appreciate any advice on the best route to take. Thanks in advance for the help!

For your weather conditions, a PoE camera would be ideal. Consider options like Reolink, Hikvision, or Unifi.

Wireless cams are generally more like toys. We install cameras for clients, and we often end up replacing Arlo, Ring, Nest, and Blink systems. I recommend Reolink—it has AI and vehicle detection features. You can get a setup with 4 cameras and a 6TB hard drive for around $600. It’s also pretty easy to set up. I think amazon has them

Additional Cameras

Nest has gone downhill ever since Google acquired them. I’ve settled for Ring when I’m not installing a commercial system.

This is so true. So true!!

Arctic pro series camera

Thanks let me check them out

Some Axis cameras can handle temperatures ranging from -40°C to 60°C, but they tend to be on the expensive side.

Cameras are precision tools, so if a camera is good for an overview, it won’t be as effective at capturing detailed features like a person’s face. You’re looking for Ethernet cable with PoE-powered cameras.

Consider getting a few cameras along with an NVR server running BlueIris, and integrate it with a home automation system like Home Assistant. This way, you can set it up to flash your exterior lights, sound a siren, and send alerts to your smart devices when needed.

In your weather, batteries won’t last long, so you’ll want a hardwired system with an NVR that connects to your router. I noticed someone mentioned Axis cameras—they are expensive but offer high quality. If you’re looking for something a bit more affordable, Hikvision turrets are a good option. They have an operating temperature range of -40°C to 50°C and cost around £110 per camera, with a decent recorder costing about £250.

For wiring, you’ll want to use duct-grade Cat 5, especially if the camera will be exposed to the elements, as it’s weatherproof. While normal Cat 5 might work, it depends on the specific conditions.

Check out Lorex Weatherproof Security Cameras

lorex cameras are ok. however any software and support is horrible.

I have a friend who worked in Antarctica last winter, and I asked him what cameras they used there. He mentioned the Lorex Nocturnal series, although he didn’t recall the specific model number. He said it performed well even at -50°F!

The build quality and image quality of the Lorex cameras are quite good, and the AI features work well. However, the software is really outdated and frustrating to use. Unless you’re using the Lorex Home app, they can be a real pain to get working properly on any level.

I usually bypass the camera apps and use Blue Iris !