Best outdoor security camera for cold weather?

My garage was broken into and I want to install a camera above the door. I live in Canada, so it can get really cold during the winter.

Should I go for wired or wireless?
What are the best features to look for?
How’s the range and clarity?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You should consider getting a PoE camera for your environment. Brands like Reolink, Hikvision, and Unifi are good options.

Wireless cameras are more like toys. I install cameras for a living, and we often replace systems like Arlo, Ring, Nest, and Blink. I personally like Reolink. It has AI and vehicle detection. You can get a 4-camera system with a 6TB hard drive for about $600, and it’s pretty easy to set up. You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/XXpYhUU02G4

Nest has gone downhill ever since Google bought them. I’ve settled for Ring when I’m not installing commercial systems.

Bright said:
Nest has gone downhill ever since Google bought them. I’ve settled for Ring when I’m not installing commercial systems.

Totally agree with you! Ring has been a much better option for me too.

Check out the Arctic Pro series camera. Here’s a link: https://www.newegg.com/dahua-n83bu82-eyeball-camera/p/N82E16881182933

For a reliable outdoor camera in Canadian winters, I’d suggest going with a wired setup. Wireless can get tricky in extreme cold. Look for weatherproofing, night vision, and at least 1080p resolution to ensure good footage.

Brands like Arlo, Ring, and Nest are decent, but reviews can help you decide which one fits your needs best.

SentinelSanctuary said:
My garage was broken into and I want to install a camera above the door. I live in Canada, so it can get really cold during the winter.

Canadian winters can be tough on electronics, so make sure to pick something rugged. Wired cameras usually perform better in cold temperatures. Look for features like weatherproofing and strong night vision. For range, you want at least 30 feet of clear visibility, especially if you’re trying to ID people.

SentinelSanctuary said:

Arthur said:

SentinelSanctuary said:

Your comment was removed as it seemed like spam. This includes:

• Promoting a company
  • Sharing affiliate links
  • Pushing social media channels or clickbait sites

SentinelSanctuary said:

Some Axis cameras can operate between -40°C to 60°C, but they are on the pricier side. Keep in mind, cameras designed for wide coverage might not be great for capturing detailed facial features. I’d recommend PoE cameras with Ethernet cables for power. You could also look into getting multiple cameras, a BlueIris NVR, and a home automation system like Home Assistant. That way, you can get alerts on your devices, flash your lights, or sound an alarm when something happens.

SentinelSanctuary said:

In your climate, batteries won’t hold up well, so hardwiring is your best option. You could go with a setup that includes an NVR that connects to your router. Someone mentioned Axis cameras, and while they’re expensive, they’re also high quality. If you want a more budget-friendly option, Hikvision turrets are a solid choice. They can operate from -40°C to 50°C and cost around £110 per camera. You’ll want to use duct-grade Cat 5 cable to ensure it’s weatherproof.

SentinelSanctuary said:

https://www.lorex.com/pages/weatherproof-security-cameras You might want to check out what they have here.

Miltan said:

SentinelSanctuary said:

https://www.lorex.com/pages/weatherproof-security-cameras You might want to check out what they have here.

Lorex cameras are decent, but their software and support are terrible.

Zendaya said:

Miltan said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

I asked a friend who worked in Antarctica last winter what they used there, and he mentioned the Lorex Nocturnal series. He didn’t remember the model number, but he said it worked well at -50°F.

Miltan said:

Zendaya said:
Miltan said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

I asked a friend who worked in Antarctica last winter what they used there, and he mentioned the Lorex Nocturnal series. He didn’t remember the model number, but he said it worked well at -50°F.

The build quality and image from the cameras are good, and the AI features are decent, but the software is so outdated that it’s hard to get them working properly unless you use the Lorex Home app.