Best Cameras to Stop a Thief

Hi,

I need to set up some cameras for an elderly relative who is having things taken from their home. I’m looking for cameras that meet these needs:

• Must record all day and night, every day

• I don’t want a DVR or anything complex like that, just a cloud service that saves the recordings for a while

• Must have ethernet to avoid any interference or signal attacks

It would also be great if the cameras had 2K or 4K quality. Ring is out, Nest doesn’t work with ethernet, and Reolink’s cloud can’t handle 24/7 recording. Any ideas? Thanks!

If you go with Reolink, just add an SD card. No need for cloud storage. You’ll get 24/7 recording and can download clips to your phone, tablet, or computer.

Charlotte said:
If you go with Reolink, just add an SD card. No need for cloud storage. You’ll get 24/7 recording and can download clips to your phone, tablet, or computer.

Can I ask, what do you use to watch the videos when you go this route? Does Reolink have something built-in, or is it a general system that multiple brands use? I’d like something I can view from my browser, where I can watch live feeds and see old recordings. Basically what you get with cloud services.

Also, isn’t SD card storage limited? With the space video needs, I’d be worried about how many days I can go back. I need to rewind at least 10 days.

@Miles
Yeah, Reolink has its own app for iOS and Android. They also have software for Windows and Mac, so you can view live footage and download recordings to your computer.

As for SD card storage, I’m not totally sure how many days you’d get because all my cameras record to an NVR.

It’s great you’re helping your relative, but have you thought about the possibility of dementia? It’s common for people to think someone’s coming into their home and taking things when it’s not actually happening.

@Charlieronny
Yeah, I’m sure there’s some of that going on, but I think it was triggered by some real theft. I want to set up cameras so she can check the footage herself and see that nothing’s missing. Hopefully, that will make her feel safe again in her home.

Miles said:
@Charlieronny
Yeah, I’m sure there’s some of that going on, but I think it was triggered by some real theft. I want to set up cameras so she can check the footage herself and see that nothing’s missing. Hopefully, that will make her feel safe again in her home.

I’m so glad you’re not just dismissing this as dementia. That would be cruel. Unless there’s been a diagnosis, give her the benefit of the doubt. My husband and I are in our 60s and retiring next year, and we’ve seen changes in our neighborhood. Just last night, my husband came back from his walk and said two kids were sitting on the curb across the street. You need to be cautious. Older folks can’t defend themselves like younger people. Thank you for being so kind and understanding. Have a great day! :pray:

Check out the Tp Link Tapo. I have one, and it records to an SD card with a continuous recording option. It can record in 2K and also has sound recording and a spotlight if that matters to you.