Best Alarm System with App (Wired)

We’re planning to install a wired alarm system in our home. We previously had a wireless camera that got hacked, which has made us wary of using WiFi-based systems.

Our last wired system was installed by a local company, but the app and control panel were not user-friendly and often confusing.

We’re looking for a company that offers a better user experience, with an intuitive app and controls. Since we plan on traveling frequently, it’s important that we can monitor the system remotely, even when we’re out of the country.

We appreciate any recommendations or suggestions you might have! Thank you!

I have a wired system that was installed 24 years ago, and it’s connected to the Envisalink app on my phone, which is very easy to use.

Nowadays, I’d also be comfortable with a wireless PowerG FHSS system since it’s secure.

When you say “wired,” I assume you mean wired sensors? If so, your best option would be to go through an Alarm.com dealer. They should be able to handle wired systems.

You can also opt for wireless sensors, but make sure they are encrypted. Alarm.com with an IQ Panel 4 supports PowerG sensors, which are a secure option. ADT is another choice; both their Command panel and their new Smart Home Security (v5 system) use two-way encrypted sensors. These sensors, like PowerG, SiX, or DECT ULE, have two-way communication (meaning the panel and sensors can check in with each other) and encryption (which prevents outsiders from sending false signals).

If by “wired,” you mean using a phone line, that’s harder to find these days. You’d have to look for older alarm systems, which have their own advantages and disadvantages.

For app security, ensure your password is random, unique, and that 2FA (two-factor authentication) is enabled. Also, make sure your router has a strong password. Consider using a secure router like a Nighthawk or Plume WiFi. Strong cybersecurity is crucial.

I hope this helps!

We recently received a quote from an Alarm.com provider for a home security setup that includes 3 motion sensors, 4 door/garage sensors, a doorbell camera, and a panel with glass shatter detection. The total cost came to around $1,800, with a $50 monthly monitoring fee. Is this a typical price for such a system?

I’m also considering SimpliSafe, especially since they’re offering a significant Labor Day discount right now. I’m new to the home security scene and just want to make sure I’m making the right choice.

It seems like you have some experience in this area—any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Pro installation systems are generally expensive, which is pretty normal. SimpliSafe has some ability to detect advanced attacks with their wireless sensors, but from what I know, they aren’t encrypted unless there’s a newer system, like the Gen 3.

For a good DIY option with encrypted sensors, Abode and ADT are worth considering. If you go with ADT, make sure to buy the equipment upfront and from their website—otherwise, you might end up with a contract. Both companies offer encrypted sensors for added security.

Gotcha so be aware of lack of encryption. We are renting so acknowledge we should probably go cheaper for now versus pro systems.

Oh yes def go DIY so you don’t have to sign a new contract when you move. Even with a DIY contract you don’t sign a new one when you move (companies like Cove and ADT offer contracts for financing the equipment). And like you said - it’s a big savings.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover: and hopefully all goes well whatever you end up choosing!!

Are POwerG sensors bad or something?

Not at all. They have great range, they are also encrypted and have two way communication.