Best 24/7 Monitoring Option for My Wife’s Peace of Mind?

We currently have an old ADT system, and while it’s been fine, we recently ran into an issue. Plumbers accidentally cut a line going to the door panel, and now the whole system is down. We were set to go on vacation the next day, and ADT couldn’t send someone out for two weeks, so my wife canceled the service on the spot.

Now, we’re trying to figure out our next steps. We’re considering a few options:

ADT Build A System: This uses Google hardware with ADT 24/7 monitoring. We already have Nest Thermostats and Google speakers, and we like the Google ecosystem, so this option is appealing. The base 24/7 monitoring is $29.99 per month. We’ve always been happy with ADT’s monitoring service; they’re quick to respond whenever the alarm goes off.

Vector Security: I looked into their pricing, and the cheapest plan is $45 per month, which seems steep, especially since their hardware doesn’t seem as good as ADT’s. This option doesn’t look very promising.

Ring, Simplisafe, Abode: These self-install options seem similar in terms of features. They have cheaper 24/7 monitoring than ADT, but I’ve read mixed reviews about their response times. Some people say that when their alarm went off, it took 10 minutes for someone to call. That’s a concern since my wife really values the peace of mind that comes with reliable monitoring. However, in 9 years of having 24/7 monitoring with Vector at our old house and ADT now, we’ve only ever triggered the alarm accidentally.

Right now, I’m leaning towards either the ADT or Ring base package and then buying Google Nest cameras separately. ADT works with Nest cams purchased through them, but that bumps the monthly charge up to $45, which doesn’t seem worth it for just adding Nest Secure. We’d miss out on a few features, like auto unlock with face recognition, but I don’t think that’s a dealbreaker.

Am I missing anything? I’d love to hear your thoughts or suggestions on what might be the best route to take.

Thanks!

1 Like

ADT is great for those already using Google devices. It integrates well and is reliable, but it can be costly, especially if adding Nest cameras. Some advanced features may also be missing.

Vector Security is known for good customer service, but it can be pricey, and reviews about service and equipment are mixed.

Ring is budget-friendly and easy to set up, with a strong selection of devices. However, response times can vary, and many features require a subscription.

SimpliSafe offers easy DIY installation and flexible monitoring options at competitive prices. However, it has limited compatibility with other smart home devices, and its glass-break sensors could be more sensitive.

Abode supports a wide range of smart home products and is affordable with no required monthly fees, but its cameras aren’t the best, and there’s no option for professional installation