At this point I would pay someone to help me pick a setup

There are just too many products out there. I’m looking for a budget-friendly setup with at least 2 outdoor cams (would be nice if they had optional floodlights or worked well at night), 1 doorbell cam, and a home security system that has an easy key fob or something so I don’t have to keep entering a code. I want 24/7 monitoring but also want to keep the monthly cost low if possible. I don’t plan to actively manage a super high-tech setup (maybe later), but for now, I just need something simple I can set up quickly when I move in. Please help me narrow down my options :pray:

Nest floodlight cameras might be what you’re looking for. As for a simple system with a fob, maybe try SimpliSafe.

I think you’re looking at different systems. Some companies can do it all, but they’ll cost a lot upfront and for monthly monitoring. If you’re handy and can work in the attic, you can install everything but the alarm system. For that, find a local company that uses alarm.com for monitoring and only have them monitor the essentials like doors, windows, motion, smoke, etc. For the camera system, I used Nelly’s Security (nellysecurity.com), and they don’t have fees. The camera is for you to monitor, and recording can be done locally or to the cloud. Wireless systems can be tripped offline, so wired might be a better option if that’s a concern for you.

I can help you with some advice. You don’t need to pay me; just pay it forward by doing something nice for someone else :blush:. Part of the issue is that you’re talking about three different areas—surveillance (cameras, doorbell), door lock (keypad or key lock), and alarm (monitoring). There are some all-in-one systems, but they tend to have monthly fees. To get what you want, you’ll need separate systems that might take a little time to set up. If you want something really simple, you could just grab Blink cameras and get them set up quickly. But for what you really want, it’ll take more time and effort. Are you handy? Can you run wires, drill holes, etc.? If so, we can find a good setup that works for you. What matters most to you—upfront cost, monthly fees, or time to set up?

@YukiJane You’re right that it’s three different things. I think starting with home automation and then picking locks and alarms makes sense. Where should I start learning about these?

@Bright For automation, I’d suggest Home Assistant or Hubitat. Home Assistant is a bit harder to learn but more powerful. Then choose locks like Yale with Z-Wave, and for alarms, I’d go with a Resideo Vista 20 with an Envisalink module. For cameras, look at Reolink or Ubiquiti (which also works well for your network).

@YukiJane This is super helpful. I’m building a new house, so wiring isn’t an issue. I’m between Ring and Alarm.com. Ring is cheaper but with fewer options. I plan to hardwire my window and door sensors. Your idea of separating the surveillance from the alarm makes me lean towards Alarm.com for its capabilities.

@Slurry If you’re hardwiring, don’t go with Ring. Separate your surveillance from your alarm system. Get a Vista 20p alarm with Envisalink for monitoring. It’s cheap, and you don’t need Alarm.com if you use Home Assistant. For cameras, Ubiquiti or Reolink would be good choices.

@YukiJane I’m worried about wiring everything. Are there good wireless options?

@Zoey_24 For an existing house, wiring can be a pain, but security-specific wireless sensors are solid and have long battery life. You can hardwire the keypad and use wireless for the sensors. Something like the Resideo 5818 sensor can last 10 years on a battery.

@YukiJane I think keeping the monthly cost low is most important. Upfront cost matters too, but I’m okay with a bit more setup time if needed.