Are Lorex home security cameras the best option for easy setup without a subscription?

About 7 years ago, I installed a Costco special Lorex 4-camera system at a relative’s house. It works well for monitoring while in the house, but remote access is unreliable and often fails to connect.

I ran extra Cat5 cables to other parts of the house but didn’t have enough time off work to finish installing the additional cameras. Now, they’re willing to pay me to take time off and install the other 6 cameras. Given the advancements in technology, I’d prefer to upgrade to a better system rather than using the 10-year-old cameras. With a budget of $3-4k for 10 cameras and an NVR/DVR, what are my best options? Ideally, I’d like to include one or two thermal cameras if possible.

2 Likes

That’s great they’re willing to invest in a security upgrade.

The technology has definitely improved since you installed the Lorex system.

While it might be functional for in-home monitoring, the unreliable remote access can be a real drawback these days.

1 Like

Lorex cameras typically offer local storage options, such as SD cards or Network Video Recorders (NVRs), so you don’t need to pay for cloud storage subscriptions.

1 Like

Certainly! It’s great that you’re considering upgrading the security system for your relative’s house. Given your budget of $3,000 to $4,000 and the desire for 10 cameras (including thermal options), let’s explore some excellent choices:

1. Lorex 4K Spotlight Indoor/Outdoor Camera: Offers exceptional 4K resolution, built-in spotlight, and free onboard storage. Price: Around $150 per camera.
  2. Arlo Ultra 2 Spotlight Camera Security System (2-Pack): Features 4K resolution, wireless design, and smart home integration. Price: Approximately $450 for a 2-camera system.
  3. EufyCam S330 Camera(2-Pack): Provides 4K resolution, solar-powered option, and advanced AI detection. Price: Around $550 for a 2-camera solar-powered system.
  4. Reolink Argus 3 Ultra: Budget-friendly 4K option with battery-powered wireless installation. Price: Approximately $130 per camera.

For thermal cameras, consider brands like FLIR or Boschfor detecting heat signatures, especially useful at night or in challenging weather conditions.

Remember to consider your relative’s specific needs and consult with a professional installer for optimal camera placement and system configuration.

Consider upgrading to brands like Hikvision, Dahua, Reolink, Swann, or a newer Lorex model within your $3-4k budget. For thermal cameras, explore options from FLIR or AXIS Communications. Ensure the chosen system meets resolution, storage, remote access, and compatibility needs.