Are keyless dead bolts any safer than conventional locks?

My husband and I just bought a new house and my husband is interested in a keyless lock. We mostly lock our deadbolt when we leave the house, so a keyless deadbolt makes sense. I was looking at the Schlage Camelot FBE365 cam pad keyless deadbolt. Has anyone had any experiences with this lock, good or bad?

We have a toddler and an older family member living with us, and I worry about the lock failing and getting someone locked out when no one is home, and whether a keyless is more or less dependable in the event of a home invasion.

Should I trust my gut and go with a conventional lock set or does it make better sense to try something new? And with a keyless deadbolt does it still make sense to install a locking door handle?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

The Schlage Camelot FBE365 cam pad keyless deadbolt is generally reliable and easy to use.
It has features that prevent tampering and has a backup key option, which can be a reassuring feature for families with children or elderly members.
The keys are quite secure and dependable thanks to their features such as built-in alarms for attempted break-ins and can be reprogrammed easily if there’s any concern about the codes being compromised.
The key area of concern is that it can fail due to battery issues or other malfunctions.

Therefore I would suggest that you go for The Schlage Camelot FBE365 cam pad keyless deadbolt and you will not regret in the near future

Also, it’s important to consider your specific household needs and concerns when choosing a lock system. While keyless deadbolts like the Schlage Camelot FBE365 offer convenience and security features, it’s understandable to have reservations, especially with a toddler and elderly family member in the home. To mitigate potential issues, you could opt for a keyless deadbolt with additional safety features, such as built-in alarms for attempted break-ins and low battery indicators. Additionally, regularly checking and replacing the batteries can help prevent lock failures. Regarding the concern about a lockout, having a backup key option provides peace of mind in case of any technical issues. As for installing a locking door handle, it can add an extra layer of security, especially if you prefer the familiarity of a conventional lock. Ultimately, weighing the benefits and potential drawbacks of both options will help you make an informed decision that best suits your family’s needs and preferences.

So, when you mention “keyless,” it doesn’t mean there’s no key mechanism at all; there actually is one. So technically, your lock isn’t entirely “keyless,” but it does have a code feature. Anyway, that’s just the technical stuff.

Locks with keys, like the one you’re talking about, have their own set of vulnerabilities, like key bumping, for instance.

But what really matters most is making sure the lock is properly installed and that both the door and its frame are of good quality.

No matter what lock you choose, it’s important to add a wrap-around plate around the lock to make it harder to kick the door open easily. Also, use long screws, at least 4 inches, on the hinges and the plate where the deadbolt goes into. You might also consider replacing it with a security plate.

Check to ensure the deadbolt bolt has enough space to fully extend. Sometimes the hole isn’t deep enough, which is a big security concern.

Most burglars aren’t like James Bond; they’re more likely to just kick the door open or enter through an unlocked window. Reinforcing the door makes their job a lot harder.

Hope that helps. I personally have a Schlage keypad lock similar to the one you mentioned, and it’s been working well for me. Oh, and don’t forget regular maintenance, like lubricating and cleaning it.

1 Like

I’ve got the lock too, and overall, I’m pretty happy with it.

Yeah, like any lock, it’s not foolproof, especially if someone knows a lot about locks. One common complaint is that it can be breached in a way that’s hard to detect unless you really inspect it.

But honestly, I’m not too stressed about that part. My favorite thing about it is being able to program a temporary code for a friend when we’re away on vacation. Plus, my kids are notorious for losing keys (seriously, went through 12 in one year), so having a keypad is a lifesaver.

I’m not a fan of the models that automatically engage or disengage once you enter the code. They rely too much on the door frame staying consistent, which can be a bit risky.