App for all smart devices?

Hey, I’ve got a bunch of smart devices from different brands like Ikea and Xiaomi, and each one has its own app. Is there a way to control all of them in one app so I don’t need to juggle multiple apps?

Everyone is going to recommend Home Assistant. Seriously, it’s mentioned a lot around here, and for good reason.

Clara said:
Everyone is going to recommend Home Assistant. Seriously, it’s mentioned a lot around here, and for good reason.

Did someone say Home Assistant yet?

@Felix1
Let me go out on a limb and say Home Assistant might be exactly what you’re looking for. It’s not super popular (only the second most active open-source project in the world), but it’s worth a look.

@EvansBrown15
Now I’m curious, what’s the most active open-source project?

Rich said:
@EvansBrown15

As of Oct 2023, it’s Microsoft VSCode. Surprised me too.

EvansBrown15 said:

Rich said:
@EvansBrown15

As of Oct 2023, it’s Microsoft VSCode. Surprised me too.

Interesting, I didn’t realize VSCode is open source!

@Felix1
Yep, everyone’s going to say Home Assistant.

To give you a better answer: what you need is an automation hub. It’s a system, often a physical device with an app, that connects all your other smart devices. The hub uses integrations to control various systems like Ikea and Xiaomi, so you only need the hub’s app for everything.

Home Assistant is the top recommendation, and it runs locally on hardware you own (no cloud needed). It has tons of integrations for almost anything—bulbs, washing machines, pool pumps, etc.

Another option is Hubitat, which has a gentler learning curve but fewer integrations.

Google and Amazon can also act as hubs, but they rely more on the cloud. Keep things local when possible, so you don’t lose control if a cloud service goes down or changes.

While Home Assistant is great, it does have a steeper learning curve. If you want something more user-friendly, SmartThings is a good balance. It doesn’t cost anything to stop using it, and if you want to add Zigbee, Z-wave, or Matter devices, you’ll just need a SmartThings hub. There’s also no subscription fees.

There are also subreddits for SmartThings, Home Assistant, and Hubitat where you can learn more.

Hello, I’m here to suggest Home Assistant as well. You’ll see it a lot in this thread!

I’ve tried two automation hubs: Hubitat and HomeyPro. I recently upgraded to HomeyPro and find it easier to use with a wider range of devices than Hubitat. Both can work with or without the internet, depending on your needs.

My name says it all—Home Assistant is the way to go.

Home Assistant is great, but there are other options too. If you’re in the Apple ecosystem, you can use Apple HomeKit, but you’ll need an Apple TV or HomePod as a hub. HomeKit doesn’t support as many devices natively, but you can add Homebridge to connect unsupported devices.

If you’re tech-savvy, definitely check out Home Assistant. You can find a lot of resources, like guides and videos, to get you started. Plus, it keeps everything local, so you’re not relying on cloud services that might go down.

I had SmartThings before, but the cloud would go down too often, and I couldn’t control anything. With Home Assistant, you can make all your devices work together, whether it’s lights, cameras, or security. Highly recommend it!

Home Assistant is the answer! :ok_hand: