Apartment security tips for a low budget…?

I’ve got a tiny budget of about $100… what should I buy for home security? I’ve already got locks on my doors and windows, but I live in an apartment, so whatever I get should be easy to take with me if I move out.

Cameras would be my top pick, both inside and outside (a doorbell camera if possible). I personally like Wyze with an SD card for indoor use. Also, you can replace the screws in your door with longer 3-inch ones for better security. I use 2x2 boards to block my sash windows from being opened. And definitely get renter’s insurance. It’s really affordable and covers way more than just theft.

@Nash
These are really solid ideas, thank you! Definitely going to look into Wyze.

I’d recommend smart lighting. You can set them on a schedule and later expand with motion-based triggers. For cameras, Wyze or Google Indoor are good options to start with.

Mia said:
I’d recommend smart lighting. You can set them on a schedule and later expand with motion-based triggers. For cameras, Wyze or Google Indoor are good options to start with.

Good call! I never thought about smart lighting, but that could be super handy.

An indoor camera like this goes for around $30. It supports both ONVIF and local SD storage, and it even has an Ethernet port, so it’s harder to jam. Dahua, which makes this camera, is a reliable brand. I highly recommend sticking with ONVIF-compliant cameras to avoid getting locked into one brand (like Wyze or Ring).

@Ned
This makes sense, I’d hate to be stuck with just one company. Thanks for the suggestion!

A knife, a baseball bat, and some pepper spray can go a long way too.

Juliana said:
A knife, a baseball bat, and some pepper spray can go a long way too.

I’ve got pepper spray and a knife in my camping gear. Might be smart to get one just for home security, so it’s always handy.

How about getting a dog from the pound for $100?

Bernard said:

Haha, knowing me, I’d probably end up with a tiny chihuahua :joy:

Guard4Hire said:

Bernard said:

Haha, knowing me, I’d probably end up with a tiny chihuahua :joy:

Perfect! They may be small, but they’re fierce. They bark at anything and whoever tries to break in will be in for a surprise… they’ll get their ankles chewed off and run for it.

@Bernard
Haha! True, but I feel like I’d end up being the one bitten on the ankles :laughing: