Anyone used different home security setups…? Need recommendations

I’m trying to find a good home security company… already checked out ADT. Looking for something that covers my home and a couple of metal sheds. I’d need alarms and cameras. Any suggestions on companies you’ve used and liked?

Depends on where you live… there are a lot of great local or regional options out there.

Dexter said:
Depends on where you live… there are a lot of great local or regional options out there.

I’m just browsing for recommendations. Vivint keeps reaching out, but I’ve seen a lot of complaints. Never had to set up security before. I prefer word-of-mouth reviews, but I also check Yelp.

@Devon
The big names can be hit or miss. Personally, I’d avoid Vivint and ADT, along with any smaller companies that just resell ADT services.

Best bet would be to find a local alarm company—they’ll actually care about your experience. The national ones see you as just another account.

@Devon
Yeah, I’d steer clear of the national brands like ADT, Vivint, and Brinks. They often lock you into long contracts with yearly price hikes. Plus, Vivint and ADT have proprietary equipment that won’t work with other services when you cancel.

@Dexter
How do you find the local or regional companies? I’m totally new to all this.

@Devon
We’ve got Vivint, and it’s been pretty good. Most of the bad reviews I’ve seen come from folks who dealt with door-to-door salespeople who overpromised. If you contact them directly and ask for specific features, you’ll get a better experience. They’re one of the few companies with a ‘deter’ feature to scare off potential thieves. That’s why we switched from SimpliSafe.

For the metal sheds, wireless might be tricky. Consider a local provider that uses DSC Power-G sensors for better range or ask them for the best setup.

Had ADT for about 15 years, back when it was all hooked up with a phone line and a battery backup. Now that they’ve switched to wireless, I keep getting error codes that say it’s not connected to WiFi. Every time I call, they just give some vague answers, and I end up doing a full reset… super frustrating. Thinking of switching. Heard about POE, but I’m not sure about the cost to run lines.

@Kian
What’s the error code? And by POE, do you mean Power over Ethernet?

Roger said:
@Kian

Yeah, the error is 6F. Not sure about the POE part, I meant something that’s not wireless.

Roger said:
@Kian

Also, thinking of switching from ADT to a system that’s not wireless. Isn’t that what POE is?

I’m using ADT mainly because it was already set up when I moved in. They quoted me $45 a month, but I got it down to $25. Basic setup, no cameras. Whatever they quote you, try to negotiate for at least a third off; their rates are super flexible.

Been with ADT since 1995. Overall, no major issues, but it’s been a while since we upgraded (last one was in 2006).

Called Xfinity/Comcast recently for a quote—$134 for installation, $360 for equipment, and $360 a month for a package that included cable, Internet, and VOIP. Asked them to email me the details, but they refused, saying prices change daily.

I also reached out to ADT, and they set up an appointment. The rep couldn’t confirm whether it would be a call or in-person visit. She knew my location but still couldn’t tell me for sure. At least she managed to confirm the time and date… kind of a hassle.

Seriously, don’t use ADT. Just don’t.

Where are you located? Some really good local companies might be around, but it’s best to go with someone nearby.

If you’re a bit handy, you could install the system yourself. There are a few companies online that sell the parts and have tutorial videos on YouTube. You can then hire a local company to do the monitoring or use the same company that sold you the equipment. Brands like Honeywell and DSC are pretty popular and supported by a lot of local monitoring services.

Cove has been good for us.

I’d recommend finding a local company. Whereabouts are you based?

Agree with most of what’s been said. Avoid the national companies like ADT and Brinks. If you want someone to handle the setup for you, go local. Hardwired systems are generally more reliable and have a longer lifespan compared to wireless. And if you’re going wireless, check out Surety. They’re pretty well-rated on this forum, and I’d probably go with them if I needed a new system.

Also, consider getting your cameras from a different company than your security system. Often, the best security systems don’t have the best cameras, and the top cameras don’t come with the best security. Mixing and matching might give you a better setup.

I’ve had good luck with two local companies around Atlanta. No long-term contracts and fair rates.