Anyone know how to add wireless window sensors to an old wired system?

Panel Type: Safewatch Pro 3000 EN / Honeywell WA3000

Background: My home was wired for all doors and windows when it was built. Recently, I had 14 windows replaced, and the installers just tucked the sensor wires into the frame and sealed everything up.

I have an inspection today with a quality control rep from the company.

So now, I’m looking for a way to replace the wired sensors with wireless ones but keep the system recognizing those zones as before. Any suggestions on how to set this up?

If the wires are tucked away behind the new windows, you’ll likely have to go with wireless sensors. There’s not much else you can do.

Tyra said:
If the wires are tucked away behind the new windows, you’ll likely have to go with wireless sensors. There’s not much else you can do.

Did you fully read the post?

Rex said:

Tyra said:

Yeah, I read it. But what you’re asking for doesn’t really exist. If you want wireless sensors, that’s your only option. No need to get snappy.

@Tyra
I did mention in the original post that I planned to switch to wireless sensors. Your reply just repeated that. That’s why I was wondering if you actually read it.

Rex said:

Tyra said:

They did read it, but what you’re asking for isn’t possible in the way you described. For a hardwired system, you’ll need a wireless receiver to replace those windows. Mentioning your system type would’ve made things clearer from the start. Also, asking these things before the install could’ve saved you some hassle.

@Guard4Hire
Actually, the kind of device I’m asking for does exist—it’s called a wireless receiver. Does it work exactly like I described? Not quite, but it gets the job done.

If my post was so confusing, it’s interesting that everyone here understood it enough to offer useful advice.

Condescending means acting like you’re superior. My comments don’t fit that description. But thanks for your input.

@Rex
So, why not just share your system type and let us help you out? This forum has a lot of knowledgeable folks. What panel do you have? I can even guide you through the setup.

What brand and model is your alarm panel? You’ll have better luck with a wireless expansion device for the system, rather than trying to convert individual zones.

Ariana said:
What brand and model is your alarm panel? You’ll have better luck with a wireless expansion device for the system, rather than trying to convert individual zones.

It’s a Safewatch Pro 3000 EN. I was worried about finding manufacturer expansion devices since it’s an older model.

@Rex
Good news! Your Safewatch Pro 3000 is actually a rebranded Honeywell Vista 20P. You can still get wireless expansion modules for it that support up to 16 zones of Honeywell 5800 series wireless devices.

They aren’t new, but you can still find them available online, along with the 5800 series sensors.

@Ariana
Thanks for the info! I’m worried you’re right about the custom PROM though—my panel has ADT stickers all over it.

I’ve managed to wipe, reset, and program it since I bought the house, but this is the first time I’ve had to modify the hardware. Wasn’t sure how long older systems like this are supported.

@Rex
Check the PROM label and compare it to the Vista 20P replacement PROMs online. They’re usually pretty cheap.

Depends on your system, really. It’s not always that straightforward.

ShadowSherpa said:

It’s a Safewatch Pro 3000 EN. Adding this info to the original post.

Rex said:

ShadowSherpa said:

It’s a Safewatch Pro 3000 EN. Adding this info to the original post.

If you don’t already have a wireless receiver, you’ll need to add one. Then you can switch the zones to wireless in the programming and link the sensors. It’s not a tough job.

Like others have mentioned, we need to know what kind of system you have.

Phillip said:

It’s a Safewatch Pro 3000 EN. Adding this info to the original post now.

Rex said:

Phillip said:

It’s a Safewatch Pro 3000 EN. Adding this info to the original post now.

You can definitely add a Honeywell 5881 receiver for wireless devices. They come in three versions—low, medium, and high capacity. Your panel is basically the same as a Vista-20P, which supports up to 48 zones.

Look into Honeywell’s 5816 or 5800mini sensors. All compatible devices will start with ‘58.’

@Phillip
Great! I replaced 8 windows, but I’ve got 35 windows and 3 exterior doors total, so going with the high-capacity receiver sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the help!