Anyone got good outdoor motion sensor suggestions?

I’m looking for a solid motion sensor, either zigbee or z-wave, that’ll work well outdoors. It’ll be near the house, so range won’t be a problem. I’m more worried about it holding up in the weather. Any recommendations?

Zooz makes a Zwave outdoor sensor that’s pretty reliable. I don’t remember the exact model, though.

Dexter said:
Zooz makes a Zwave outdoor sensor that’s pretty reliable. I don’t remember the exact model, though.

Zooz products are great, and their support team is top-notch. I’ve had to reach out a couple of times, and they always give useful solutions. They’ve definitely won me over with how they handle support. Plus, they actually know Home Assistant and offer specific support for it.

Dexter said:

Thanks! I found a helpful video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LuY9N0yEM

JANE123 said:

Dexter said:

Thanks! I found a helpful video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LuY9N0yEM

I’ve been using the Zooz ZSE29 for over a year now. It’s outside under the roof eve and works perfectly. No issues so far.

I’d recommend the Philips Hue outdoor motion sensor. It’s got great range, day/night sensor, and even a temperature sensor. It’s super easy to integrate into HA with Node-Red. Battery life is excellent too. I’ve got 5 in my setup.

PIR motion sensors tend to give tons of false positives during the day from sunlight. They’re fine if you only need them at night. I tried 4 models, and they all had the same problem, even in shaded spots. I eventually switched to cameras with AI-based motion detection, and it’s way more accurate and doesn’t mess up during the day.

The IKEA sensors are decent for outdoors. Not sure about the exact IP rating, but they’ve got a rubber seal around the battery, and the instructions even show outdoor placement. They’re pretty affordable too!

Might be overkill, but Amcrest cameras have motion detection that works with HA. That’s what I use for outdoor motion detection.

SentinelSanctuary said:
Might be overkill, but Amcrest cameras have motion detection that works with HA. That’s what I use for outdoor motion detection.

I’ve got Hikvision cameras already, but the motion detection is terrible—way too many false alarms from tree shadows. I need something that handles IR better.

JANE123 said:

SentinelSanctuary said:

I’ve got Hikvision cameras already, but the motion detection is terrible—way too many false alarms from tree shadows. I need something that handles IR better.

Check out DOODS for object detection. It can pretty much eliminate false alarms by identifying people, vehicles, or whatever you want.

ellah said:

JANE123 said:
SentinelSanctuary said:

Check out DOODS for object detection. It can pretty much eliminate false alarms by identifying people, vehicles, or whatever you want.

That looks interesting, but it seems a bit out of my league. Even if I get it working, my DVR’s RTSP streams (from analog cameras) are 5-10 seconds behind, which could be a problem.

JANE123 said:
I’m looking for a solid motion sensor, either zigbee or z-wave, that’ll work well outdoors. It’ll be near the house, so range won’t be a problem. I’m more worried about it holding up in the weather. Any recommendations?

I’ve got the Hue Outdoor Motion sensor integrated directly with ZHA. Highly recommend it, and it works well with HA. I use Node Red to automate turning the lights on and off with it.