Always-on outdoor lights or motion-activated lights?

After a couple of nearby homes were burglarized, I’m considering making some changes. Would it be better to keep the outdoor lights on all the time or use motion-activated lights? We already have cameras and a Ring alarm system.

Motion-activated for sure!

I like lights that stay dim at 25% or 50% brightness after dark and then turn on fully when they detect motion.

That sounds good. I hadn’t considered that.

Motion-activated lights are probably more effective at scaring a burglar away or making them move on to the next house, though the difference might be small.

I really like cameras that auto-track their target and have motion-activated lights. The idea of the light turning on and following the person around, almost like they’re under a spotlight or being watched by the Eye of Sauron, is a powerful deterrent. It would definitely make someone think they’re being actively watched. I use a Reolink Trackmix camera for that purpose.

I have a Reolink system that needs updating, so I’ll check out those cameras. Thanks for the suggestion!

Burglars don’t care whether the lights are always on or motion-activated. The real questions are: Will the light expose them to anyone watching? And will you, Ring, or anyone else be notified if there’s someone where they shouldn’t be?

What about both???

Cameras and lights don’t really stop burglaries. If you check the Ring site, you’ll see plenty of well-lit and recorded break-ins. All you’re doing is capturing the event with better lighting.