Alarm Cable Operating Voltage

Hi all…

I have some alarm cable rated for 300V RMS operating voltage, and I was wondering if I could use it with some PIR or microwave sensors that operate on 230V AC. My goal is just to get a signal from them, as they won’t be running any loads.

Has anyone here done this before with alarm cable? Are there any potential issues I should be aware of? I’d appreciate any advice or insights :blush: :blush:

1 Like

Most security and alarm cables are typically rated to very low voltage—usually around 12V, 120V, or 300V—because many of them do not supply power. These cables primarily transmit video, audio, or other data signals between nodes on a system, rather than powering the devices they service.

Using an alarm cable rated for 300V RMS with PIR or microwave sensors operating on 230V AC should generally be safe, as the cable’s voltage rating exceeds the operating voltage of your sensors.

Hi! Using your 300V RMS rated alarm cable for 230V AC PIR or microwave sensors should be fine, as the cable rating exceeds the sensor voltage. Ensure proper insulation and avoid any physical damage to the cable. However, for safety and compliance, double-check local electrical codes and standards.