Advice on Choosing a Home Security System for a Home with a Pool

We live in a two-story, 3,400 sq ft home with a pool located off a busy road in a relatively safe neighborhood. Despite the safety, we did have a baby jogging stroller stolen from our driveway. I’m trying to figure out the best home security system for our needs. I’m not overly concerned about break-ins since I work from home with a big dog. However, I want video monitoring for packages and to monitor people entering and leaving our yard/driveway. My biggest concern is the pool area, so I need sensitive video monitoring there to alert me when anyone is around or inside the pool, especially since we have young kids.

I’m familiar with SimpliSafe and Eufy but not with the offerings of more expensive home security companies. I appreciate SimpliSafe’s flexible monitoring options since we mostly need 24/7 monitoring when we are away on trips.

Main Considerations:

• ADT: Not considering it based on feedback.
  • Vivint: Mixed reviews, but a YouTube review by someone in a similar situation was positive.
  • SimpliSafe: I don’t mind it, but some people think it’s only suitable for small apartments.
  • Video Monitoring: Essential in the front yard, backyard, and as a video doorbell.
  • 24/7 Monitoring: Not essential but open to it if the price and service are good.
  • Tech Savvy Level: Comfortable with Wi-Fi installations, not so much with hardwired systems.
  • Nest Integration: Cool but not a deciding factor.
  • Multiple Brands: Open to using different brands but prefer an integrated system.
  • Kids’ Bedrooms: Monitoring windows for peace of mind.
  • Doors: Six exterior doors to be monitored.

Suggestions:

1. Vivint:

• Pros: Comprehensive system with professional monitoring and sophisticated equipment.
    • Cons: Mixed reviews and potential higher cost.
  2. SimpliSafe:

• Pros: Flexible monitoring plans, easy installation, and integration with existing equipment.
    • Cons: Some consider it less suitable for larger homes.
  3. Eufy:

• Pros: Affordable, no monthly fees for video storage, good for video doorbells and cameras.
    • Cons: Limited to video monitoring, no professional monitoring service.
  4. Ring:

• Pros: Good video doorbells and cameras, affordable monitoring plans.
    • Cons: Privacy concerns and potential for false alarms.
  5. Nest Secure:

• Pros: Integration with Nest products, good for tech-savvy users.
    • Cons: Higher upfront cost and limited availability of products.

My Recommendation:

Consider a combination of SimpliSafe for its flexibility and Vivint for its advanced features and professional monitoring. Use SimpliSafe for general security needs and flexible monitoring, and add Vivint cameras for sensitive areas like the pool. This way, you get the best of both worlds: a reliable, flexible system and advanced, sensitive monitoring where it matters most.