$5K for Home Security: Best Camera Systems and Installation Providers

Hey everyone,

I’m a first-time home buyer and new to home security. After doing some research over the past few days, I could really use some advice. My budget is around $5K USD, including parts and labor.

Questions:

Who should I hire for alarm and security system installation? I don’t have the time or expertise to DIY, so I’ll need to outsource but not sure if I search for an Electrical contractor, Audio Visual, Security, etc.

What are the best camera systems for quality? Should I go with Reolink/Eufy, or look at Sony/Bosch/Axis, etc.?

Details:

My home is in a neighborhood with decent foot traffic, though it’s set back about 30 feet from the sidewalk. I’m thinking of installing 5 outdoor cameras and 2 indoor cameras:

• 2 for the front and back doors
  • 1 for a detached garage
  • 1 for the driveway
  • 1 for the backyard
  • 1 inside for the front door/living room
  • 1 inside facing the back door

Preferences:

I’m aiming for the best image quality within my budget: up to 4K and up to 14 days of recording storage (unless that’s unnecessary). I don’t mind paying subscription fees if needed.

Appreciate any suggestions or guidance!

I would avoid electricians. What you’re looking for is a low voltage contractor. I’d go with an AV company. Many alarm companies may try to talk you into WiFi cameras and lock you into long-term contracts. I run an alarm company but I don’t do contracts — those are harder to find. Home theater or sound guys might also be able to help. You’ll want an NVR and hard drive with no monthly fees.

Thanks! Any recommendations on a high-quality NVR? I’ve seen the Ubiquiti Dream Machine recommended.

There’s nothing high quality about Ubiquiti cameras. Their daytime quality is mid-tier at best, and their nighttime image quality is some of the worst for the price. Plus, you’re locked into their ecosystem.

Thanks! I’ve been researching Axis for the past hour. What do you think about them?

Axis is great, but it may be overkill for your needs. I’d recommend cameras with a 1/2" sensor for good night image quality. Don’t get caught up in the ‘wide-angle’ trap. A narrow field of view will give you more detail. Ubiquiti cameras usually have tiny sensors and too wide of a field of view.