14 windows do I need a sensor on every one

I have a house with 14 windows on the main floor, half at the front and half at the back. I was looking at alarms and cameras, and they say I need a sensor on every window.

Is that really needed?

Could I use something like motion sensors or glass break detectors instead? Or is it better to just put a sensor on each window?

Yes, it’s best to have them on every window. Glass break sensors won’t help if someone pries the window open, and a motion detector won’t go off until they’re already inside. It’s better to catch them before they get in, so an alarm scares them off before they’re in your living room.

@LillyGrace Keep in mind, motion sensors won’t work when you’re home unless you set them up that way.

@tonymorgan We usually only arm the master bedroom when we’re home.

You can use glass break detectors and motion sensors too, but that’s why I prefer window sensors.
They help me confirm I didn’t leave a window open by mistake.
They catch someone before they get inside. This only works if they don’t break the window, though.
Motion sensors also might not work with pets.

I have all three types for more peace of mind.

@janiceyelth Same for me. It’s more for checking if I left a window open.

When it comes to break-ins, it’s probably harder to open a locked window than to break it.

Still, we have contacts on all our ground floor windows and doors, including the front and patio doors. Even though we don’t have stairs outside, we’re planning to build a deck later on.

I’ve been installing security systems for over a year, and I’m a tech manager. If you want to protect your home properly, don’t leave any openings unsecured.

Look into ‘shock sensors.’ Put one on every glass window, and a mini sensor on your doors, and you’ll be covered. Some people use motion sensors too, but most of my customers don’t want to go that far.

I have both, even on the upstairs windows of my two-story home. It’s less likely someone will break in from the second floor, but I don’t want to take that chance.

Securing every opening is important, especially if you have kids or teenagers in the house.

@Dallas122 Shock sensors can set off false alarms from something as simple as a big truck or loud motorcycle passing by. That’s why a lot of companies don’t use them.

@LockdownLair I haven’t seen that happen much. The sensors have settings to adjust sensitivity, and we always fine-tune them before installing.

We install ADT systems, and shocks are one of the options. ADT is one of the biggest names in home security, so I’d say they’re reputable.

I love shock sensors and would recommend them.

@Dallas122 Just because ADT is big doesn’t mean they’re the best. They use rebranded equipment from other companies, and the extra programming makes it harder for competitors to take over.

@LockdownLair ADT has a solid security system and monitoring service. I believe in the product and would recommend it to anyone.

@Dallas122 Forget ADT.

@Umbrielle You can’t make everyone happy.

I hate false alarms. I know sensors are good, but they just made me more stressed with all the false alerts.

In my old home, I put sensors on every window but skipped the motion and glass break detectors. I had too many false alarms in the past with motion detectors and didn’t want that hassle.

@Ethan_johnson Sounds like you had cheap motion sensors. Go with tri-tech motion detectors next time.

@Williams Yeah, I was using cheap stuff from Ring and Frontpoint. I’ll look into tri-tech.

Are you getting a pro-installed system or a DIY one? If it’s a professional install, it’s probably cheaper to do it all at once. I’d suggest sensors on each ground floor window and either motion or glass break detectors. But if you’re going the DIY route, you can add sensors as you go to spread out the cost.

I always go with this rule: If you can afford it, do it. If not, look around the window area. If the thief thinks they can be seen, they’ll pick a spot where they won’t be noticed.

Motion sensors and glass break detectors were mainly designed for commercial use. They have some limitations in homes, like pets or window coverings affecting them. It’s best to secure every accessible opening, including attic hatches.