Sensor to detect lock being cut? Need ideas other than motion/camera

Jony said:
Sort of a strange inquiry here, but I’m out of ideas. I’m the caretaker of a cave that we have gated to protect the bats, only allowing occasional access to researchers…but it’s near some public woods on the edge of my property and occasionally attracts people’s attention. I have a camera and a motion sensor up, and the server sends remote alerts…but it triggers a lot. It seems to trigger more when it’s hot out, and the bats trigger it constantly. A cell service based camera isn’t an option because there’s no service out here. I’ve tried multiple different motion sensors, and they all seem to have the same issue with overtriggering even when the sensitivity is turned way way down.

Ultimately, it’s always going to draw attention from people so I don’t mind if they look in the gate…but recently I had someone try to cut their way through the gate, in the midst of a number of false triggers of the sensor, so I didn’t notice. I’ve been racking my brain for solutions, and the only one I can think of is possible attaching a glass break sensor to the gate, hidden but super close to the only place that cutting the gate open is possible. Presumably the noise/vibration of the saw would trip the glass break? We tried a fence some years ago and found that even a wooden privacy fence drew too much attention, even with the camera and all the posted signs, and people still hopped over it for a peek. It’s not like I can, or want, to run over there every time someone is innocently curious. I can, however, get there in less time then it would take to cut…if I could just have a reliable alarm alerting me to someone actually doing something bad.

Open to any advice or suggestions!

Dumb question: can you just trigger in the gate opening instead of the lock being cut off? If you get there and find the lock cut, replace it.

How often to the researchers go in? Can you learn to weld and put a bar across that you then cut for access? This is a different proposition than cutting a lock…

Jony said:
Sort of a strange inquiry here, but I’m out of ideas. I’m the caretaker of a cave that we have gated to protect the bats, only allowing occasional access to researchers…but it’s near some public woods on the edge of my property and occasionally attracts people’s attention. I have a camera and a motion sensor up, and the server sends remote alerts…but it triggers a lot. It seems to trigger more when it’s hot out, and the bats trigger it constantly. A cell service based camera isn’t an option because there’s no service out here. I’ve tried multiple different motion sensors, and they all seem to have the same issue with overtriggering even when the sensitivity is turned way way down.

Ultimately, it’s always going to draw attention from people so I don’t mind if they look in the gate…but recently I had someone try to cut their way through the gate, in the midst of a number of false triggers of the sensor, so I didn’t notice. I’ve been racking my brain for solutions, and the only one I can think of is possible attaching a glass break sensor to the gate, hidden but super close to the only place that cutting the gate open is possible. Presumably the noise/vibration of the saw would trip the glass break? We tried a fence some years ago and found that even a wooden privacy fence drew too much attention, even with the camera and all the posted signs, and people still hopped over it for a peek. It’s not like I can, or want, to run over there every time someone is innocently curious. I can, however, get there in less time then it would take to cut…if I could just have a reliable alarm alerting me to someone actually doing something bad.

As others have said, Reed Switch on the gate, if it’s tampered the Reed will produce an alarm state. Reed Switches are really cheap, like $10, add cabling and an hours labour.

Jony said:

Maybe a little far out but;

Assuming the lock and the gate are metal, Insulate the lock from the gate by some not too thick tape. Connect a contact sensor between the gate and lock. I’m sure anybody trying to cut the lock will cause the lock to contact the gate. Sounded better in my head before I typed it, but maybe?

Or perhaps, connect a fine fishing line to the lock. Run the line inside the cage to a switch that will close if the lock is pulled.

EvansBrown130 said:

Jony said:

Maybe a little far out but;

Assuming the lock and the gate are metal, Insulate the lock from the gate by some not too thick tape. Connect a contact sensor between the gate and lock. I’m sure anybody trying to cut the lock will cause the lock to contact the gate. Sounded better in my head before I typed it, but maybe?

Or perhaps, connect a fine fishing line to the lock. Run the line inside the cage to a switch that will close if the lock is pulled.

That’s actually not a horrible idea, gotta figure out how something like that could be rigged up without tripping when people grab the gate to look through the bars.

Jony said:

Alarm.com has a device called flex I/O. It communicates through cell and monitors when the gate is opened and closed

Dragonsecure said:

Jony said:

Alarm.com has a device called flex I/O. It communicates through cell and monitors when the gate is opened and closed

I need something that can alert me before they get to that point

Jony said:

Depending on how large your property is you could use some wifi bridges to get wifi there.

Jony said:

Ok, so, nobody is listening to the core problem. Yes, he could put a switch on the gate but he wants something that will alert him BEFORE they get to that point.

How are they cutting the lock off? Can you shroud the lock in a box kinda like the ones on shipping containers where you can only access it from underneath and they can’t get enough leverage or cutting tools around the lock itself?

Perhaps an outer box over the padlock so when someone lifts that to get to the lock it triggers something. Beyond that maybe just a cheap driveway alarm at the base of the gate

leecole2 said:

Jony said:

Ok, so, nobody is listening to the core problem. Yes, he could put a switch on the gate but he wants something that will alert him BEFORE they get to that point.

How are they cutting the lock off? Can you shroud the lock in a box kinda like the ones on shipping containers where you can only access it from underneath and they can’t get enough leverage or cutting tools around the lock itself?

Perhaps an outer box over the padlock so when someone lifts that to get to the lock it triggers something. Beyond that maybe just a cheap driveway alarm at the base of the gate

Thank you. The lock is actually positioned in such a way that it’s not a viable attack route, but the crossbar that the lock holds in place is vulnerable in one small sliver that unfortunately is the perfect size for a sawzall blade and can’t be blocked due to the way the gate swings. We’ve hardened the gate as much as possible, but there’s just no practical way to eliminate the one spot it needs to be cut. And even so, like you correctly identified…we’re looking for a way to alert us as soon as someone starts trying to cut. There are a few spots where people might consider trying that won’t actually work, so even with hardening the gate, which is already very secure, it may still not stop someone from trying.

Hopefully if someone tries again, someone showing up to catch them within a minute will be enough to deter any future attempts. Just have to figure out how to alert us quickly enough.

Jony said:

Let’s see the gate.