Office Light Keeps Coming On… Could Someone Have Broken In?

Austin said:

Charlieronny said:
It sounds like your light is somehow connected to a switch in the other unit. Maybe the building is mis-wired.

It’s possible, but it happened for three days straight, and then it never happened again.

Could’ve been a visitor next door.

Austin said:
Hey everyone, I’m in a confusing situation and could use some advice.

I live in a three-story building. On one side, there’s an abandoned building, and on the other, a Christian Center with regular activities. The rooftops are connected.

Last Friday night, I noticed my office light (on the 3rd floor) was on when I came home. I thought maybe I forgot to turn it off. The next morning, I found the light on again and the curtains were open, which spooked me. I could’ve forgotten to close the curtains, but I don’t think I forgot the light. I made sure to turn it off this time, closed the curtains, and left to meet a friend.

When I got back that night, the light was on again. This time I was scared. I called a friend to help me check the place, and we found nothing, but the curtain was left just how I’d left it. The only thing out of place was a broken window lock in the office, but I hadn’t fixed it because it’s on the 3rd floor, so I figured no one could get in that way. Nothing was missing, and there’s no sign of a hidden camera. The light has never turned on by itself before or since then. The building is old, and all the locks are bolt locks.

One way someone could’ve gotten in is by climbing down from the rooftop, but that seems far-fetched. Even if they did, how would they leave? I checked my front door camera—nothing. Sadly, I don’t have rooftop cameras, so I can’t say if someone was up there. The curtain made me think no one came in through the window.

We got the key to the abandoned building but found no sign of entry. I also spoke to the Christian Center next door, and they haven’t seen anyone strange around. I checked with a security guard and a nearby restaurant, but no one saw anything weird. My neighbors also said there haven’t been any burglaries in the area.

I’ve since added locks outside every room and more security cameras.

Still, I’m confused. If someone broke in, what’s the reason? Could the bolt lock be opened from the outside? Why only leave the light on in one room? Could it be something supernatural? Could the light switch on by itself? I’ve lived here for six months and nothing odd has ever happened before. Any advice on what else to check or how to protect myself would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Maybe it’s a smart light or switch that turns itself on automatically.

Austin said:

I live in a three-story building. On one side, there’s an abandoned building, and on the other, a Christian Center with regular activities. The rooftops are connected.

Last Friday night, I noticed my office light (on the 3rd floor) was on when I came home. I thought maybe I forgot to turn it off. The next morning, I found the light on again and the curtains were open, which spooked me. I could’ve forgotten to close the curtains, but I don’t think I forgot the light. I made sure to turn it off this time, closed the curtains, and left to meet a friend.

When I got back that night, the light was on again. This time I was scared. I called a friend to help me check the place, and we found nothing, but the curtain was left just how I’d left it. The only thing out of place was a broken window lock in the office, but I hadn’t fixed it because it’s on the 3rd floor, so I figured no one could get in that way. Nothing was missing, and there’s no sign of a hidden camera. The light has never turned on by itself before or since then. The building is old, and all the locks are bolt locks.

One way someone could’ve gotten in is by climbing down from the rooftop, but that seems far-fetched. Even if they did, how would they leave? I checked my front door camera—nothing. Sadly, I don’t have rooftop cameras, so I can’t say if someone was up there. The curtain made me think no one came in through the window.

We got the key to the abandoned building but found no sign of entry. I also spoke to the Christian Center next door, and they haven’t seen anyone strange around. I checked with a security guard and a nearby restaurant, but no one saw anything weird. My neighbors also said there haven’t been any burglaries in the area.

Still, I’m confused. If someone broke in, what’s the reason? Could the bolt lock be opened from the outside? Why only leave the light on in one room? Could it be something supernatural? Could the light switch on by itself? I’ve lived here for six months and nothing odd has ever happened before. Any advice on what else to check or how to protect myself would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Do you have a cleaning service?

Austin said:

Thanks!

Maybe someone snuck in using parkour, just to sleep for a bit.

Also, do you have carbon monoxide detectors? If not, get one.

And are you sure no family or friends have a key? Maybe someone borrowed a key without your knowledge.

Miltan said:

Austin said:

Thanks!

Maybe someone snuck in using parkour, just to sleep for a bit.

Also, do you have carbon monoxide detectors? If not, get one.

And are you sure no family or friends have a key? Maybe someone borrowed a key without your knowledge.

Parkour is a possibility, though it would be tough! I thought about the carbon monoxide issue, but it’s not the case here. Only two people entered the building during the incident, and I checked the cameras to confirm. I also checked all the switches, and none of them control that light.

Austin said:

Thanks!

What time did you leave and come back? Could it be that the sunlight was hiding the fact that the light was on earlier?

Austin said:

Thanks!

It might sound strange, but try installing a carbon monoxide detector. If gas is seeping in, it could cause hallucinations.

Austin said:

Thanks!

I had a light switch that would turn itself on if the door slammed. It could be something similar since the building is old.