Looking for a wifi security camera with NO subscription or free trial required

Safezone said:

GuardGuru said:
I need a security camera that doesn’t require a subscription or any kind of trial plan. Ideally, I want it to send notifications to my phone for motion detection, have storage for past events (more than just a couple of days would be nice), allow me to save and delete videos, and either have decent battery life or plug-in capability for power. I’ve been searching for months, but it seems like every option eventually forces you into signing up for something, despite claiming to have no subscription. I’d appreciate any recommendations from those in the know. Thanks!

Avoid Blink. It’s not worth the money.

Thanks for the heads-up!

GuardGuru said:
I need a security camera that doesn’t require a subscription or any kind of trial plan. Ideally, I want it to send notifications to my phone for motion detection, have storage for past events (more than just a couple of days would be nice), allow me to save and delete videos, and either have decent battery life or plug-in capability for power. I’ve been searching for months, but it seems like every option eventually forces you into signing up for something, despite claiming to have no subscription. I’d appreciate any recommendations from those in the know. Thanks!

Check out Blue Iris software. It’s a one-time purchase with no subscription, and you can use it with most IP cameras. It can handle motion detection, push notifications, and remote access.

ShieldedDwellings said:

GuardGuru said:

Check out Blue Iris software. It’s a one-time purchase with no subscription, and you can use it with most IP cameras. It can handle motion detection, push notifications, and remote access.

Sounds like a solid option! Thanks for sharing.

GuardGuru said:

I use some no-name solar-powered WiFi cameras from Amazon. They send notifications when there’s motion and have been reliable so far.

PeacefulHomestead said:

GuardGuru said:

I use some no-name solar-powered WiFi cameras from Amazon. They send notifications when there’s motion and have been reliable so far.

Thanks for the suggestion!

GuardGuru said:

Aosu cameras are another good option. I have a few, and they’ve been great without any subscription required.

ProtectivePam said:

GuardGuru said:

Aosu cameras are another good option. I have a few, and they’ve been great without any subscription required.

Appreciate the recommendation!

GuardGuru said:

I have older Panasonic IP cameras that email me snapshots when motion is detected. They store everything locally, no subscription needed. You could check if Panasonic still offers similar models or find them second-hand.

Smith said:

GuardGuru said:

I have older Panasonic IP cameras that email me snapshots when motion is detected. They store everything locally, no subscription needed. You could check if Panasonic still offers similar models or find them second-hand.

Thanks for the info! I’ll check out Panasonic’s newer options.

GuardGuru said:

Geeni cameras might work for you. I’ve got nine, and they store up to 15 days of footage locally on microSD cards. No subscription required, and the app sends notifications.

Brooklyn said:

GuardGuru said:

Geeni cameras might work for you. I’ve got nine, and they store up to 15 days of footage locally on microSD cards. No subscription required, and the app sends notifications.

Can you connect other security devices to Geeni for notifications?

GuardGuru said:

Eufy cameras don’t require a subscription, and they work well.

leecole4 said:

GuardGuru said:

Eufy cameras don’t require a subscription, and they work well.

Be aware that Eufy cameras won’t work if they lose connection to the internet.

GuardGuru said:

I wish we could just stream CCTV via VLC and record locally. It seems like it should be simpler!

GaryWright said:

GuardGuru said:

I wish we could just stream CCTV via VLC and record locally. It seems like it should be simpler!

That’s basically what RTSP is. Most decent cameras support it, but the challenge is when you want remote access while not on the same network.

GuardGuru said:

Most systems today host your data in the cloud and charge for access. They want to create a nationwide surveillance network at your expense.

leecole3 said:

GuardGuru said:

Most systems today host your data in the cloud and charge for access. They want to create a nationwide surveillance network at your expense.

That’s only true for consumer cameras. Enterprise-grade cameras let you store data locally without any subscription.

ingosi said:

leecole3 said:
GuardGuru said:

That’s only true for consumer cameras. Enterprise-grade cameras let you store data locally without any subscription.

I agree! I’d rather pay upfront for a system that works without ongoing fees.

GuardGuru said:

Check out Zoneminder. It’s an open-source video surveillance solution, and you can run it locally.

GuardGuru said:

Reolink NVRs are affordable and highly rated. The newer 12-channel models support both PoE and Wi-Fi cameras.