Best PoE Home Security System for New Construction

LizCampell said:

LizCampell said:
Bodhi said:
Provide Cat6A cable to all the usual places where a camera would be located, and I would be a happy buyer.

To go the whole hog, just any ole POE camera system from Swann, Lorex etc.

A more premium setup would be something from Ubiquiti, but much more $$.

Regardless, the Cat6A would handle anything. Me personally, I would be happy just to have the Cat6A.

Why would anyone run Cat6 to a camera?
I’ve seen a lot of people make this recommendation, yet no one is able to provide a technical or logical reason. That’s because there is none.

No one who understands CCTV and networking would recommend this. This must be one of those things that get circulated on the internet with no valid reasoning.

[deleted]

Most Hikvision cameras only connect at 100mb

LizCampell said:

Bodhi said:
Provide Cat6A cable to all the usual places where a camera would be located, and I would be a happy buyer.

Regardless, the Cat6A would handle anything. Me personally, I would be happy just to have the Cat6A.

I’ve seen a lot of people make this recommendation, yet no one is able to provide a technical or logical reason. That’s because there is none.

No one who understands CCTV and networking would recommend this. This must be one of those things that get circulated on the internet with no valid reasoning.

As an amateur in almost every aspect of life, I ran cat6A when I was building our new home. It might not be relevant now, but in regards to “future proofing”, it never hurts to go above and beyond. That includes conduit if you can swing it :man_shrugging:t2:

Warmington said:

LizCampell said:
Bodhi said:

As an amateur in almost every aspect of life, I ran cat6A when I was building our new home. It might not be relevant now, but in regards to “future proofing”, it never hurts to go above and beyond. That includes conduit if you can swing it :man_shrugging:t2:

I love when people claim “future proofing”. Explain when in the future someone will need Cat6 ran to a camera?
Before you even try to replay, do some research on H.263, H.264, and H.265.

You’ll see that this “future proof” of running Cat6 to cameras is just nonsense. It’s a waste of time and money.

LizCampell said:

Warmington said:
LizCampell said:
Bodhi said:

I love when people claim “future proofing”. Explain when in the future someone will need Cat6 ran to a camera?
Before you even try to replay, do some research on H.263, H.264, and H.265.

You’ll see that this “future proof” of running Cat6 to cameras is just nonsense. It’s a waste of time and money.

You make good points, but I think your above comments are being downvoted because of your tone.

As far as future proofing, I can only tell you how the concept worked for me. Before drywall and insulation went in, I ran the cat6 to local drops within the house, four external camera points on the home, 95 feet to my detached garage, 190 feet to the end of my driveway where packages are sometimes dropped, and another 150 to the backyard where the chicken coop is going to be. Overkill? Sure. But if I was running those longer distances, the price difference between buying a 1k box of 6, vs smaller boxes of both 5 and 6 was negligible.

LizCampell said:

Bodhi said:

Why would you not run Cat6 to a camera? Why would you settle for less than the latest standard? I get what you are saying about speeds but if I am building a house, I want the latest, most up to data cable spec. I am not going to be happy settling for Cat5e to save a few bucks. The OP is clearly wanting to go above and beyond when building houses. Cat5e doesn’t fit into that mindset. And yes, I do completely understand that a camera won’t need a 10Gbps connection and residential runs are typically short.

Bodhi said:

LizCampell said:
Bodhi said:

Why would you not run Cat6 to a camera? Why would you settle for less than the latest standard? I get what you are saying about speeds but if I am building a house, I want the latest, most up to data cable spec. I am not going to be happy settling for Cat5e to save a few bucks. The OP is clearly wanting to go above and beyond when building houses. Cat5e doesn’t fit into that mindset. And yes, I do completely understand that a camera won’t need a 10Gbps connection and residential runs are typically short.

First, it is not “the latest standard”, you probably made that up or it’s just some nonsense you probably saw on the internet and thought “hey, that makes sense”. No professional who understands CCTV and networking would make the claim that it’s “the latest standard”.

If you want to go with the latest, why not run fiber? Why… because it doesn’t make sense. Here’s some actual facts for you. A 4K camera at 30fps uses less than 15Mbps. Cat5e handles up to 1Gbps. That means there is about 985Mbps extra. You don’t see that 985Mbps is “above and beyond” what is needed?

Now let’s look at the logic of Cat6. Cat6 handles up to 10Gbps (up to about 180ft). That means there is about 9,985Mbps extra.

Now explain how that makes any logical sense?

LizCampell said:

Bodhi said:
LizCampell said:
Bodhi said:

First, it is not “the latest standard”, you probably made that up or it’s just some nonsense you probably saw on the internet and thought “hey, that makes sense”. No professional who understands CCTV and networking would make the claim that it’s “the latest standard”.

If you want to go with the latest, why not run fiber? Why… because it doesn’t make sense. Here’s some actual facts for you. A 4K camera at 30fps uses less than 15Mbps. Cat5e handles up to 1Gbps. That means there is about 985Mbps extra. You don’t see that 985Mbps is “above and beyond” what is needed?

Now let’s look at the logic of Cat6. Cat6 handles up to 10Gbps (up to about 180ft). That means there is about 9,985Mbps extra.

Now explain how that makes any logical sense?

Made up that Cat6a is the latest standard? Technically Cat8 is the latest. But Cat6a is the latest practical IEEE recognized standard for general use.

You were just dying to throw out those numbers huh. Like I told you, I am well aware of what the cables can handle and what current and likely future cameras will need.

Again, it comes down to simply wanting the latest cabling standard. That’s the logic. I, and many others, don’t care if Cat5e can handle the job. We don’t care if it costs extra. That’s the logic. Your personal crusade literally is meaningless.

LizCampell said:

Bodhi said:

Please educate me… what would you do instead of cat6 wire?

Back to the OPs question…. You recommend dahua so you aren’t tied to any specific manufacturer for monitoring service?